Big Sleep, The – Doctor M Reconstructed Gangrel Hybrid Cut
- Original DVD extras (including documentary and trailer)
- Chapter index changed to accomodate edit.
- English Subtitles.
New special feature “1945 / 1946 Comparisons!”
- Full scenes that were completely altered from 1945 to 1946 are presented.
- Carmen being brought home.
- ’Black Veil’ scene vs. Resturant/racehorse scene
- The two Mona Mars.
- 1944 Original Script
- 1946 Final Script
- Added 1945 Marlow’s search at Gieger’s house.
- Added 1945 scene of Marlow in the car with Carmen.
- Kept 1946 version of Marlow arriving at the Sternwood house with Carmen.
- Kept 1946 dialog about Carmen with Marlow and Vivian at his office.
- Added Marlow with Bernie at the D.A.s office after Brody’s death.
- Kept the 1946 scene with Marlow and Vivian in the bar as opposed to the 1945 scene with Vivian wearing a black veil outside Marlow’s office.
- Kept 1946 alternate dialog with Marlow and Vivian after he knocks out the hijacker.
- Kept 1946 scene with Marlow and Carmen at his apartment.
- Kept additional dialog from 1946 with Marlow and Bernie in his office.
- Added 1945 Mona Mars scene after Marlow is knocked out in the Garage, Mona is played by Pat Clark in this scene instead of Peggy Knudsen (I thought Pat was sexier in the part and the entire film is about sexy women).
v2 (Reconstruction changes from Original Gangrel Cut)
- Fixed frame rate to restore 23.976 fps (no re-encoding).
- Fixed audio keeping DD 2.0 at same bitrate as original DVD (previous release was mpeg audio).
- Fixed a cut when Marlow brought Carmen home (the butler opened door twice).
- Added 30 seconds of Marlow putting the coded diary on his desk after entering his apartment. (1945)
- Replaced 1946 footage with better quality 1945 footage of Geiger’s house (the fight and arrest of Lundgren). (1946 transfer was over-bright and detail was washed out).
- Added 30 seconds of Marlow removing his car registration and getting a gun before going into the service station. (1945)
- Re-instated 1946 Mona Mars scene with Peggy Knudsen (I felt it was performed better (by everyone) with better close-ups and camera moves. It also allowed me to avoid an ugly cut). (Thanks Gangrel for being cool about this change. – Dr. M)
I am an extended edition buff and have a big collection of original ones and all the fanedits from here.
Many extended editions do not add anything to the movie, just add more useless scenes. I will rate the ones here.
Rating criteria: image quality, sound quality, 3x improvement, overall.
Image Quality: 10 of 10
Sound Quality: 10 of 10
Improvement: 6 of 10
Overall: 8 of 10