9.3 94 10
FanFix August 15, 2012 22034
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

It’s been many years since I last saw Rise of the Machines and, in all honesty, I am in no position to recall all those little details that made it a bad film. What I distinctly remember is the tone inconsistency compared to its predecessors (cringy jokes etc.) and the sour taste it left in my mouth, as a result. As a sequel to one of the best films ever made, it failed spectacularly, although it was not without some redeeming qualities, mainly an incredible ending. That ending did not deserve that movie, as some commentator nicely put it.

Uncanny Antman’s edit fixes all that and he does it in a way that is phenomenal! The Coming Storm is not only one of the best FanFixes I’ve ever seen, it is also a worthy successor to the original duology. It’s not T2: Judgement Day, of course! A sequel directed by some Jonathan Mostow, even masterfully edited, cannot be Judgement Day! But as far as I’m concerned, it is better than Genisys and Dark Fate combined. The serious tone has returned, the timeline inconsistencies have been removed, the visual and audio editing is perfect, and the whole narrative is still intact. All that were so artistically done that I could not even tell what was cut out to improve the original film. I’ve read some complaints about the time paradox of the future virus inserted by the editor in some of the reviews. In my opinion, that is no different from Kyle Reese coming from the future to become John Connor’s father, so no problem there for me. There were just a couple of awkward Arnie grimaces here and there –just before the T-800 shuts down, for example- but removing them was kind of impossible, I believe.

All in all, Uncanny Antman provides everything I’ve ever wished for, as he takes a heavily flawed film and turns it into something more than respectable and watchable. Finally, the film has become an enjoyable ride from the beginning to the end, and not just in the end. Certainly a work well-done.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 1

Comments