FanMix April 01, 2018 2845
(Updated: June 09, 2020)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Overview - Another entry in Mike’s ongoing series, this time a twofer.
First source, “The Dead Next Door” remains a bad cheapie, though with heart. None of the smug self awareness of Troma product. Second source, “The Midnight Hour,” is slicker, though more innocent.

Video - 1280 X 720p AVC. Source material varies here. The first feature looks shoddier, but that’s OK. No one has mentioned this before, but I really like Mike’s intros. The editing is suitable for both episodes. More abrupt with the first, in keeping with the grindhouse look.

Audio - 192 kbps, 2-Channel stereo AAC. No Subs. Dialogue was crisp throughout. I listened on headphones. Not a lot of dynamic range in either chapter.

Narrative - The mayhem in the first one is limited. None of those giant crowd scenes of overrun Akron (ha ha ha). The focus on the Zombie Squad and the religious zealots is constrained. This is to the point, but feels over chopped.
I was too old when “Midnight Hour” aired. Too old, too worldly, too cynical. No high school, no junior high for that matter, was ever like this. The way students treated each other with civility and decency. Mike has reworked this extensively, though with a lot more love and care. It shows. The narrative holds together and is logical. Moreover, the central relationship between Phil and Sandy remains light hearted, romantic, and ultimately poignant.

Enjoyment - I did like these, the second more than the first.
Cheesy alert for the first, corn factor for the second. The second is perfect for Halloween, also suitable for older children. Funny, silly, with scary moments.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments