FanMix May 07, 2021 2798
(Updated: May 25, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! I have a soft spot in my heart for the old Superman films, well at least the first two. This is a good fusion of Superman 1 and 2. It does a great job at combining them seamlessly into one film. Recommended for really die hard fans of 80's Superman who want the Lester comedy kept at a minimum. Now let me explain my sub-rankings:

Audio/Video Quality: 6 Stars. There were times where the video artifacts became rather large and blocky. This could have been due to limitations with the tv broadcast source(s).
Visual Editing: 9 Stars. No major issues here. Because I'm weird, I was not a fan of the informational text showing up in the bottom right corner, but it wasn't too distracting after the first few minutes. In one scene Lex teleports across the room to play the piano.
Audio Editing: 7 Stars. The music additions were integrated very nicely. The main audio issue begins within the fist few minutes-- there were many pops and crackles that seemed to happen mostly during transitions. I detail them somewhat more below. Also there was a scene where Supe's voice was very high pitched, like he was part of the lollipop guild.
Narrative: 6 Stars. My rating of the narrative is more a reflection of the shooting script rather than Wraith's choices. Wraith did a good job achieving the narrative he was looking for; really excellent job, in fact, making the shooting script a reality.

SPOILER ALERT....

I just felt that having Superman turn back time so Lois didn't have to be sad sucked all the drama out of the ending. The moment from the original (pt 1) when Superman finds Lois dead and screams was a much better reason for turning back time. Now when he meets her at her car after the earthquake, he's all teary eyed for no apparent reason. And turning back time at the end now seems highly unwarranted.
Enjoyment: 8 Stars. This edit gave me a good excuse to go back and watch these movies. Thanks Wraith for making this labor of love.

A few notes:
00:01:46 audible pop
00:01:52-56 series of audible pops
00:02:26-30 loud pops, cracks At this point I stopped logging the pops, but they continued. I had a similar problem with mac software adding pops everywhere. Not sure what is causing it here but it seems to be mostly at transitions, but not always.
00.23.48 Lex walks and suddenly appears on the other side of the room to play piano
00:24:17 loud pssst sound at transition
02:48:48 Supe sounds like a munchkin when he says, "I'm not a coward, Zod."

User Review

Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply May 30, 2021

I also checked the COWARD ZOD on the blu ray, the issue is there too!!!

Easily fixed, and again thanks

Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
June 07, 2021
I also completely agree that having Superman turn back time is far better as the end of the first film. I always wondered WHY they didn't just make the shattering of the Phantom Zone the result of turning back time. It would thematically work for Superman that by making such a drastic decision to turn back time, especially for personal reasons, would have drastic punishment, leading to why Superman wouldn't just keep turning back time whenever he failed.
W
workshed
1 results - showing 1 - 1