supermandonner_front
FanFix May 07, 2021 2886
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Another great achievement, have long wondered what Donner's original vision would have looked like. I think I still prefer the original theatrical cut however, if for no reason other than the fact that it left a great impression on me when I first saw it at a young age and remains one of my favourite films, in my view still the peak of superhero cinema.

Some of the cuts and changes work particularly well (especially the trimmed down "Can you read my mind?"), but I do find myself missing bits like the cat rescue (showing how Superman doesn't consider some tasks beneath him) and turning back time: the absence of the latter is of course essential to this edit, but (in comparison to the original) it does feel to me a touch anti-climactic. There are a few noticeable "errors" inherent to the source that do distract me briefly (albeit I am fairly familiar with the source and was watching with a fine-tooth comb), maybe these could be addressed in an update?

Overall though, it seems that a piece of "what could have been" history hitherto missing has been found, thanks Wraith for "finding" it!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
P
Top 50 Reviewer 83 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments