I fucking loved this. Something about seeing the most magical and super of the Superman thespians in an intelligently constructed story makes Son of Jor-El my favorite Superman movie ever, theatrical or fanedited. What was kept, works. What was jettisoned ain't missed. End result: a Supes movie with a higher proportion of Supermanness, which is what we mubi-watching mofos want.
Even the alternate ending, included as a supplemental piece, was edited well.
Sure, there are a few flaws, which others have mentioned and won't be reiterated here. Mofo, please. Don't let these dissuade you, because warts and all, this fanedit is a joy to watch.
I have rarely been that impressed with an edit. Seeing as there will very soon be a great version of Superman Returns I was looking for good versions of the original seeing as Superman was the thing that brought me into fanediting. I really enjoy Superman I and II, but there is a lot of camp that can’t be taken with a straight face anymore and sadly seeing as we haven’t yet had an updated good version of Superman the originals are the ones to show to the uninitiated and they provoke smiles more than awe most of the time.
The reason is that we fans see behind the flaws, see the fantastic ideas of heroism and all the things that make superman the definitive Superhero, but even the most diehard fans can defend many of the scenes.
Having downloaded this just to watch a new take on superman I was not only taken by surprise but awe. Going 2.5 hours this edit is not only good, it is outstanding. It takes everything that is great of the original and shows us why these movies are so beloved, why they keep get referenced by the likes of Christopher Nolan and Sam Raimi as the example of how to adapt a comic.
Technically the edit is almost flawless except one audio glitch when Vito Corleone starts to explain the universe to Superman. The editing fits, the story is fantastic and adding Lois’s realization that Clark is Superman right after the interview makes everything more awesome (basically this edit takes the only good idea of the trainwreck that was Green Lantern and insterts it right into Superman).
Others have pointed out that the bad guys stay some time on the moon and I was bothered with that for only a few moments, when I realized that they might just be toying with their powers and starting it slow.
Now to the problem almost all the reviews have mentioned: Lex Luthor. His sudden reveal is a bit drastic I must admit and yeah it is strange that he knows everything about Superman… but frankly I can take this over Luthor’s prison hologram and any of his escapes any day. Truth is, there will never be a definitive version of Superman and there is a reason why after Star Wars Superman is the most often fanedited franchise (I guess it is): there will always be problems.
But seeing as how much bad things there are in the originals, or how unsatisfying some other fanedits of Superman are, Lex Luthor is such a minor problem, I can’t begrudge anything. This edit has thrilled me so much it will be the fourth edit I will eagerly show to friends, to convince them of Superman. If any movie can make cynics believe that a man can fly it will be this one.
Fantastic work to both editors, keep it up, this edit is an outstanding example of what fanediting can do. 10/10
On a technical note, the customized titles just show the love at work, customary titles is something we rarely see, especially not very complex ones, so I appreciate the time L8 took after he was already finished to give us the best possible experience. Even more, Zack Snyder’s reboot would only need to adapt this edit with better effects minus Luthor and it would be a smash hit.
I loved this edit. There are many hybrid superman 1&2 cuts, but this is the only one that that I feel has been able to combine the narratives in a way that did not feel like two films stuck together, but rather a singular narrative. Son of Jorel is a brilliant superman film, and really trims both lengthy movies down to the core themes and relationships. There is so much to love about this edit, it's hard to know what to mention.
Of special note is the ending. In both Superman 1 and 2, the ending was a letdown. The time travel was certainly dramatic, but was so full of plot holes that it was overall just too problematic. And the superman kiss is, well, silly. The ending of Son of Jorel is really quite something - It's poignant, emotional and powerful. And it ties all the themes together beautifully.
Also of note was the way in which Lois was treated. I loved that by combining the two films, we arrive at that fantastic scene where Lois accuses Clark of being Superman sooner. And from then on, she won't let go. This is much more believable for a character as smart as Lois. It's such a shame that the blank bullet scene was never filmed properly - It's a wonderful moment in the story, and so so much better than the pink bear scene. But of course it will forever be distracting for the poor quality of the scene and clark's changing hair style... Ah well, nothing we can do about that.
I understand L8wrtr may consider an HD upgrade of this wonderful edit in the future. If that is the case, I do have some suggestions. They're not criticisms, so much as personal preferences if this movie is to undergoe minro surgery on its way to HD land.
- While I love that you removed 'can you read my mind', I missed Lois falling and Superman catching her again. I always found that moment endearing, showing how caught up in the moment they both are that they forget the logistics of flying... but no big deal
- I would add the "I was thinking we could get a hamburger" line back in. I always find it funny, especially after clark says he wants to show lois the time of her life. It's Clark nice.
- I loved that you deleted most of the dialogue of the 3 villains in space - there's no air up there, so they shouldn't be able to talk! But then, at the very last, you had the scene of them deciding to go to earth, talking merrily on the moon. I really feel you can lose this scene without any problem. If we see them flying towards earth, we'll assume the rest. And then you can preserve the 'no talking in space' illusion. (as opposed to a trick. which is something a whore does for money).
- I felt there was room for some added sound effects to add drama to the 'clark losing his power scene', to add to the tension before the explosions start.
- I had no problem with Luthor arriving late in the piece... it's a shame that he knows where the fortress of solitude is though... I guess we can assume, being the greatest criminal mind in the universe, that he devised a way to figure it out. So at the end of the day, this is no problem.
- The line "Then die as you deserve to" sounds odd without the lines preceding it. It would make more sense to cut the "then", and just have the dialogue be "you are a coward, like your father before you. Die as you deserve to".
- I would cut Non being trapped by the very weak looking spire. There is no way in the world that would trap him.
- Lastly, there is a spelling mistake (The word 'ahead') in the alternative ending special feature, and a 20 second black hole in between the text and the actual footage. btw, I am very glad you chose the ending that you did! It is quite brilliant.
Well done Jelio and L8wrtr, this is really a gift to all of us Superman fans, and finally delivers a worthy combined edit of Superman 1 and 2. 10/10