Review Detail

9.3 7 10
FanFix August 13, 2012 4937
(Updated: September 12, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by Omaru1982 — June 25, 2012 @ 12:42 am

Superman returns, many of us couldn’t wait for his return to the big screen after his last outing was almost 20 years previous and it left something of a bad taste in the mouths of many, however this was being Taken on by Bryan Singer who recently previously bougth 2 good x-men films to screen, what could possibly go wrong? Apparently quite a bit, there are lots of thing wrong with the theatrical cut, superman the stalker, some uneeded humour, lex still being camp despite more recent portrayals in other media showing him as an intelligent businessman. To name buy a few.

So Booshman sets out much like Sam Beckett, to put right what once went wrong. Does he succeed? I certainly think so. From the deleted intro which should never have been cut we get a slightly different take on the film, Unlike Neglify I don’t think the edit is too slow, in some ways the pacing feels sped up, the film still drags a little as it makes its way toward and through the third act but the film is just generally improved. Lex seems a little more serious and dedicated to his work, Kitty is no longer overly annoying either. Superman is no longer a serial stalkr and Richard just seems like a generall all around good guy (though he mostly felt like that anyway.)

The colour correction is fantastic and scenes were spliced or trimmed without any noticeable work done to them.

I think the biggest compliment I can say about the film is what my mom said;
“I never liked him [Brandon Routh] before, but he seems better in the role than I remembered.”

I always liked Brandon and thought he made a great superman, it’s a shame he never got to play the character for another film but there are obviously people who disliked him in the role, well thanks to oyou there’s at least one less.

I would probably give the original film a 6 or 7 out of 10 because I always felt that though it wasn’t great, it was an improvement over 3 and 4. This cut however I’d give a 9/10.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments