superman_resurrection_front
FanMix November 04, 2022 2282
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I can say for sure that this edit manages to elevate both movies, especially Superman IV, to more than the sum of their parts. I've heard it said that Superman III is a bad idea done well, and Superman IV is a good idea done poorly. Largely following the plot of IV while integrating the good parts from III is what this edit does, and it's a wise approach, I'm a believer, at least, in the concept.

I can't help but think, however, that the execution was a little too clunky and awkward in places. I think lifting the Eiffel Tower scene from Superman II, for example, is a mistake. Reusing the scene ultimately breaks continuity with the the theatrical cut, meaning you are can only watch this with the Donner Cut of II. And while I think cutting back and forth between III and IV works, the scenes from Superman Returns did not integrate well. I also believe the same establishing shot of The Daily Planet was used at least three times, which seemed a little clunky. The Lana Lang/Smallville scenes are nice, but they seem more a diversion than anything that actually contributes to the plot of the movie. I'd like to say they should be integrated better, but I don't exactly know how I'd go about doing it.

More tweaking and perhaps this fun experiment might just work. I love Superman III too much for this to ever replace it, but I can't say I wasn't thoroughly entertained by this edit.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply January 02, 2023

There is some great feedback here. You’ve given me a lot to think about. I will be experimenting for sure. Thanks again.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments