FanFix August 12, 2017 33670
(Updated: August 19, 2017)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

What else can I say that hasn't already been said by literally everyone else? This is a phenomenal piece of art, handled with nothing but care and love. The Empire Strikes Back, arguably the greatest SW film as well as the greatest sequel of all time has be beautifully remastered once more, only this time not a single frame was left untouched. Right off the bat, my favorite new (large) addition is, well honestly it's a tie between the battle of Hoth and the asteroid belt chase, both having this new sense of scale and tension never personally felt since the original 1980 cut. Even the small touches, from actually seeing individual snow flakes fly across the screen on the infamous frozen ice world, to subtle changes in sound fx heard in the rear sound channel. Did I mention how amazing and how crystal clear the entire film sounds? I didn't even have a surround sound system yet it all felt like a brand new experience. Same goes for the picture quality of course, and besides the exception of an occasional artifact or two in the corner and sometimes messy film grain, this is still easily the best the whole film looks after 37 years thanks to a complete overhaul of coloring that really does it justice. Even the newly added CG fits in, I'd say, 90% of the time and even sometimes looks absolutely gorgeous (Cloud City, like everything having to do with it). If you're a defender of the Special editions, then you'll love it even more, and even if you loathe the updated cuts of the OT, you'll probably love it as well since most of the bad additions are restored to there original states. I can't praise Adywan enough for his hard work, honestly if it weren't for him I wouldn't have that much of an interest in fan editing, so thank you very much!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments