9.8 48 10
FanFix July 28, 2019 22545
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

So, I had mixed feelings about the theatrical cut of this film. I loved the arc of the character as it sets up a good-hearted origin for our lovable scoundrel. It functions as an anti-OT arc for Han. He once was idealistic and romantic, but the machine of the empire and world weariness crushed that as he learns the hard lessons of smuggling and trusting the wrong people. Even his love that motivates his actions throughout most of the plot ends up betraying him. I think my only complaint is that because MOST of the film revolves around good-hearted Han you can walk away thinking that he just IS a good guy. But that is not the intent of the film. By the end he shoots (coldly) his mentor and friend. He barely bats an eye at the betrayal of Quira. He is now the type of guy that would give Luke and Leia the gruff he gives in ANH.

For those reasons I enjoyed the film. My major problem that kept me from coming back was that L3 sexual nonsense. Star wars is "romantic." It is not, nor should it ever be, "sexual." This is my only real problem with Andor at the moment. Fairy tales just shouldn't be sexual. His cutting of a droid's and Lando's proclivities in the bedroom was by far the best thing about watching this awesome edit. And in turn I care so much more about these characters. I actually kind of enjoyed L3 in this cut. Awesome!

The other masterful tweak was the removing of Maul. Not because Maul is gone. I actually LOVED that moment in theaters. Rather, the removal of Maul from Quira's arc and choice at the end streamlines and clarifies the so many things. Anything that muddies that climactic moment with Becket and Quira at the end absolutely guts this movie. Make no mistake... Becket IS the Han Solo big brother to Han's Luke here. Quira IS the representation of vulnerable love for Han's life. Thus, I really feel like this movie strengthens Han's turn in ANH. He chooses NOT to betray and leave Luke in his moment of need... (the way Becket did with him) and he will not take the money and run from his love, Leia (as Quira did with him). ANH heals the wounds from these two vital characters in Han's past. It makes Han the person he should have been and establishes the Skywalker twins as a force for good and something rare in the Star Wars universe.

But we really lose that by the whole, "LOOK IT'S MAUL" distraction. Focus on YOUR film... YOUR characters... and YOUR themes and plot. This edit gives us all that by its laser tight focus. Thank you! I love it!

As for all the technical aspects, visual and sound fidelity is great. I especially love the boosted brightness to appreciate more of the great physical effects going on this film.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
T
Top 1000 Reviewer 5 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments