Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Episode V: Rise of the Dark SideFeatured
- Blu-Ray (BD-25)
- Re-cut first scenes to put Dooku/Sidious scene first.
- Replace Tactical droid “by your command” with “yes my lord”.
- Trim Dooku/Ventress interaction from Ventress’ flashback.
- Eliminate narrator from Dooku’s Dathomir landing scene and insert sound effects and music.
- Remove Dooku “with my last assassin, Asajj Ventress dead”.
- Trim build-up scene before the warriors’ first test.
- Remove Ventress “a tremendous gift from the galaxy”.
- Remove Dooku “at last” as Talzin lands.
- Remove Dooku “your powers will rival that of Darth Maul” to Savage.
Witches of the Mist
- Remove narrator from craft landing at Jedi Temple and insert sound effects and music.
- Remove Obi-Wan “so much for not starting something”.
- Remove Anakin “Hey, don’t look at me”.
- Remove Obi-Wan and Anakin interaction about Dooku sending his Assassin to exact revenge on the Toydarians.
- Remove scene where Anakin and Savage throw a battle droid.
- Trim shot of Savage being “shot” by multiple battle droids
- Alter battle droid “you’re not supposed to be here” to “you’re under arrest”.
Massacre & Brothers
- Episodes are inter-cut to give the impression that Savage searching for Maul and the droid attack on Dathomir occur simultaneously.
- Narrator removed from Ventress landing on Dathomir. Effects and Music inserted.
- Remove Asajj “I’ve been hiding” - to give impression that Massacre occurs immediately after Witches of the Mist.
- Remove Dooku “at last” when talking about taking revenge against Talzin.
- Trim Ventress’ nightsister ceremony.
- Cut all mentions of, and scenes containing “Old Dhaka” - Talzin is now shown to be controlling the army of the dead.
- Move scene where Talzin says Savage is getting closer - needed to be later to tie in with the massacre battle.
- Remove scene of Ventress in the cantina.
- Shorten Savage’s approach to surface of Lothal Minor.
- Cut Fire breathers scenes on Lothal Minor.
- Trim interaction between Savage and the snake.
- Trim Maul introduction scene to remove some of his chanting and bizarre behavior.
- Remove narrator and insert effects and music.
- Insert scene from Bounty of Ventress landing on Tatooine and meeting the bounty hunters in the cantina.
- Insert scene from Bounty where Asajj and the Bounty Hunters return to the cantina - this is blended into the Cantina scene from Revenge where Ventress sees the bounty on Savage.
- Remove Ventress’ “nightbrothers” line.
- Remove Obi-Wan line to Ventress “I learn from watching you”.
- Add closing scene from Revival but remove reference to pirates and whether or not Maul survived.
Another fantastic edit from Smudger. This series is an amazing way to get excited for the new season of Clone Wars, and is in my opinion some of the best Star Wars edits on this site. The episodes are brilliantly woven into one narrative and are extremely satisfying. This edit shows how deep Ventress and Savage are as characters, and serves as a great re-introduction to Darth Maul. DEFINITELY RECOMMEND
I've been long a huge fan of smudger9's edits, as others have been (where are the reviews for this one, guys?!?). He's back, and with another that was almost obliged to be made.
DARK is, indeed, the key word here. This one's not for the kiddies. My young daughter has grown up now watching a lot of you guys' fanedits, including smudger's Clone Wars edits, but this story arc always made me a little uncomfortable. It's violent, and dark, and really pretty gruesome. Of course, it's awesome in an ESB kind of fashion, but it almost doesn't feel like Star Wars, and I mean that in a good way. Anakin and Obi-Wan make their obligatory appearances and such, but they know they're second banana and almost seem like they want OUT of here. The main focus is on the two brothers and the witches, and they relish in their role.
One of my favorite things about the success of the Clone Wars is how it managed to save Anakin's character from Hayden hell. His scenes here fit perfectly in with the characters gradual downhill slope. I've mentioned how I feel before in other reviews, so I won't do that again, but bravo to Dave and his creative team for realizing the character so beautifully. They're even bringing back TCW for another season next year, woo hoo!
So, smudger, as long as you keep making these edits, I'll keep watching them. It puts the respectful Clone Wars story arc into a fine "way to watch it", as if these stories should always have been 2-hours films. Seriously, though, guys, keep the real younglings away from this one for now - it's just motherf'ing disturbing, all that Darth-Maul-with-the-spider-legs...