Fantastic fanedit that really makes Rogue One fit in more with the rest of the saga. The opening crawl and planet titles being removed makes it feel way more Star Warsy. By far the most impressive aspect is the colour correction on Tarkin and Leia. They look simply incredible in this edition. This will definitely be my go to version for future marathons.
This is the "Rogue One" that should have been. With the planet title cards gone, and an opening crawl it feels like Star Wars again. And the new characters that once felt so dull and 1-dimensional to me really shine when you keep the focus on Jyn (No Moe Intro Version). The color correction on Tarkin and Leia is also much appreciated. No idea why Disney didn't do it themselves. Great work!
I love R1 as well and I'am very pleased with your edit =).
Things that standout to me and I've really liked:
+ I don't dislike the absence of the crawl since these are anthologies and not main saga movies, but i also liked its inclusion as well as the custom scene of Krennic's Shuttle
+ I like what you did with Saw opening the hatch later on, it gives us a sense of mystery and leads us to almost 100% certainty that Jyn was captured by the Empire and later on we find the truth
+ I'm glad you've removed the all "Ring of Kafrene" scene
+ I hate Bor Gullet! Thank you! =)
+ I hate the scene of Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba! Thank you! =)
+ Excellent color corrections to Tarkin and Leia =)
+ I liked the new sound effect and change of score in the ISDs crashing scene
+ I don't dislike Vader's red lenses, it goes along with ANH and Star Wars Rebels but since Adywan corrected them as well in ANH and i love Ady's work, your edit completes the full circle =) and now all his appearances are consistent
+ Removal of all planets names titles, i don't like it. Thank You! =)
+ Good riddance of R2 and 3PO, it removes a stupid and inconsistency scene, since they are supposed to be in the Tantive IV already
Things that standout to me and I dislike or i think they could have been done in other ways:
- I would suggest this for the crawl:
RISE OF THE REBELLION
"The Galactic Empire's reign of terror and fear
has spread across the galaxy.
Imperial forces control many regions of space and
continue to expand their oppressive influence.
Hope and freedom are beginning to fade.
The last remnants of the Old Republic's loyalists have formed
a Rebel Alliance to resist the Emperor's ever tightening grip.
Little do they know that the Empire's first super weapon
is being developed and constructed in secret.
Imperial Director Krennic has located the defected scientist,
Galen Erso, on the remote planet Lah'mu. His knowledge is
crucial to complete the final key element of this
new weapon that, once fully operational, will be used to crush
any and all resistance and bring order to the galaxy..."
- Why have you removed Red Five's death? It tells us how Luke got his call sign and place in Red Group. It is a bit stupid in the way they've done it but perhaps you could have used some footage to of him leaving formation and trying to be a hero by goading the 4 TIE Fighters from the main group and leaving Red Leader's line "Stay Close Red Five, where're you going?" and then kill him without us seeing the pilot or his cry for help
It can also be removed like you did because there plenty unknown pilots and many died in battle. Either way it works.
- You could have trimmed part of the scene where Krennic shoots down Kassian and looks Jyn climbing up because, we don't see the Death Trooper that was shot and should dead on the floor
- When Vader enters the Profundity his chest plate and belt lights are off, maybe they've done that to create a more terrifying scene but i think it's wrong and later when he watches the Tantive IV fleeing the belt lights are on. It appears as if his suit is off without the lights. That would be difficult for him to use the force to sustain him and fight at the same time. If you could change this and add the lights it would be cool.
- I like Vader's gesture pulling the rebel soldier to the side
- I wish that a lot more sound effects could have been added, like turbolaser fire sounds, blasters, engines, etc like in that maple R1 fan edit that we spoke about. Two examples are the ISDs turbolasers and the Shield gate's turrets fire sounds
Overall i think it is a great edit and it'll be my edit of choice whenever i want to view R1.
PS: I hope you do a v2.0 if you feel it deserves some more editing =)
Another great Star Wars edit from DigModiFicaTion. I'm one of those who absolutely loved/love Rogue One.
To keep the review shorter this time, I simply list pros and cons in this review:
+ The added background music works well.
+ All the characters feel even more solid in this fanedit. I also must say that the characters were portrayed amazingly in the original version.
+ No more Bor Gullet.
+ Video/audio quality excellent in this fanedit. Many fanedits sadly fail in this regards.
- I personally liked the original music more when the Star Destroyers were destroyed by the Hammerhead Corvette. I mean, it's the theme song of the movie after all, and simply so amazing. Always brings me memories from the first viewing in the cinema. (I must say that Rogue One was the best movie I ever saw in cinema.)
This fanedit accomplishes nicely in what it was set out to do. It's subtle sure... but it's fine as I think Rogue One doesn't need that much changing in the first place.
Rogue One is a movie I quite enjoyed. For me it is far and away the best Star Wars movie since 1980. That said, it wasn't perfect and certainly among of its biggest faults were the fan service/Easter eggs throughout and a frenetic opening act (I'm defining the opening act as the scenes that lay the groundwork for what is happening in the present day of the film; i.e. after the prologue).
This edit is seamless and I'm sure someone unfamiliar with the original wouldn't detect any "amateur" edits. Many of the most egregious call backs to the OT are excised. And the movie is better for it. The opening act is much more streamlined. That alone makes this version superior. The opening jumps directly from the young Jyn prologue to Jyn in prison to her being rescued from the prison transport. There are no scenes of Bodhi or Cassian. We meet Cassian when Jyn does. A first time viewer may conclude that the prologue ends with Jyn being captured by the Empire. But that potential misconception is quickly dispelled.
The universe-shrinking Easter eggs and callbacks are mercifully reduced. We don't see the Cantina duo nor do we see R2 and C3PO. We do see the characters that make sense such as the X-Wing pilots.
Overall this is a great improvement on an already excellent film. It now feels like a Star Wars movie that stands on its own and doesn't overly rely on our nostalgia. Recommended!
Do you recommend this edit?
Thank you Moe for your review and constant push to make this the best edit it could be. Your input has been invaluable :) Thanks for helping this edit become what it needed to be :)