Star Wars: Rise of the Rebellion - A Rogue One EditFeatured
This edit is intended to clean up the few subjective mishaps in the film and present a narrative that isn't merely trying to be Star Wars, but IS. My main objectives were to add a crawl, remove planet cards, rescore certain scenes (with EU and Giacchino cues) make Chirrut less Kung Fu, Bodhi slightly calmer and more confident, making Cassian's demons internal and reducing Saw to a Lor San Tekka-Esque character.
- Blu-Ray (BD-25)
- Special Thanks
- Custom Crawl (this will be my Episode III of the prequel trilogy, so it indicates that)
- Custom pan down and Krennic shuttle flying towards Lah'mu
- Removed Saw opening up hatch to find Jyn (we only see the hatch begin to open)
- Removed Rogue One Title card, now hard cuts to Jyn waking up as if she was dreaming
- Removed Cassian's introduction scene
- Removed Bodhi's introduction scene
- Cropped scene to remove planet card during Wobani rescue (added sharpening to film)
- Cropped Yavin and Rebel Alliance planet cards to remove text (added sharpening to film)
- Removed second Bodhi scene where he meets Saw
- Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
- Removed Bor Gullet
- Added tie sfx to transition from K2 to Jedha pan shot
- Removed Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba
- Added Battlefront Imperial track to Rebel ambush
- Shortened Chirrut's acrobatics and removed his "is your foot alright" line and human shield antics
- Removed the cut to Jyn and Cassian to connect the continuous shot where Baze fires at the stormtroopers
- Removed Chirrut's "are you kidding me" line
- Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones during Jedah DS firing sequence
- Color corrected Vader's eyes during his meeting with Krennic
- Cropped Eadu planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
- Rescored Rebel Alliance meeting with Force theme
- Removed Bodhi's stuttering when asked who is stealing the imperial ship
- Cropped Scarrif planet card to remove text (added sharpening to film)
- Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
- Cropped scene with R2 and 3P0 to remove them from the shot and reworked surround track to eliminate their dialogue
- Rescored Star Destroyer collision (Scrambling the Rebel Fleet' airplane collision/crash sfx)
- Color corrected Tarkin's skin tones
- Color corrected Vader's eyes when he is watching the Rebel fleet be massacred
- Trimmed Vader's awkward hand gesture of choking rebel soldier and then motioning to fling him to the side. (it just looks too fan filmy for me)
- Color corrected Leia's skin tones
- Fixed audio volume transition into credits
- Added custom edited/fanedited credits
- Added grouped name credits to shorten credits and have them end on the the musical finale (the original doesn't for some reason)
- Added custom title cards to ending
Fantastic fanedit that really makes Rogue One fit in more with the rest of the saga. The opening crawl and planet titles being removed makes it feel way more Star Warsy. By far the most impressive aspect is the colour correction on Tarkin and Leia. They look simply incredible in this edition. This will definitely be my go to version for future marathons.
This is the "Rogue One" that should have been. With the planet title cards gone, and an opening crawl it feels like Star Wars again. And the new characters that once felt so dull and 1-dimensional to me really shine when you keep the focus on Jyn (No Moe Intro Version). The color correction on Tarkin and Leia is also much appreciated. No idea why Disney didn't do it themselves. Great work!
Fantastic Fanfix! As soon I watched Rogue One in the cinema I knew what could be cut to make the movie that much greater and this edit does all that.
I watched the No Moe Intro version and I like the more streamlined introductions to the characters now since the original was very jarring. I also didn't miss the title cards at all. The added music blends well with the movie since I didn't really notice them being edited in so that's always a good sign. R2 and C-3PO are a guilty pleasue which I would have loved to have seen in this film but I can live without it.
Overall its my go to version for Rogue One since it does a great job at polishing an already great movie.
I love R1 as well and I'am very pleased with your edit =).
Things that standout to me and I've really liked:
+ I don't dislike the absence of the crawl since these are anthologies and not main saga movies, but i also liked its inclusion as well as the custom scene of Krennic's Shuttle
+ I like what you did with Saw opening the hatch later on, it gives us a sense of mystery and leads us to almost 100% certainty that Jyn was captured by the Empire and later on we find the truth
+ I'm glad you've removed the all "Ring of Kafrene" scene
+ I hate Bor Gullet! Thank you! =)
+ I hate the scene of Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba! Thank you! =)
+ Excellent color corrections to Tarkin and Leia =)
+ I liked the new sound effect and change of score in the ISDs crashing scene
+ I don't dislike Vader's red lenses, it goes along with ANH and Star Wars Rebels but since Adywan corrected them as well in ANH and i love Ady's work, your edit completes the full circle =) and now all his appearances are consistent
+ Removal of all planets names titles, i don't like it. Thank You! =)
+ Good riddance of R2 and 3PO, it removes a stupid and inconsistency scene, since they are supposed to be in the Tantive IV already
Things that standout to me and I dislike or i think they could have been done in other ways:
- I would suggest this for the crawl:
RISE OF THE REBELLION
"The Galactic Empire's reign of terror and fear
has spread across the galaxy.
Imperial forces control many regions of space and
continue to expand their oppressive influence.
Hope and freedom are beginning to fade.
The last remnants of the Old Republic's loyalists have formed
a Rebel Alliance to resist the Emperor's ever tightening grip.
Little do they know that the Empire's first super weapon
is being developed and constructed in secret.
Imperial Director Krennic has located the defected scientist,
Galen Erso, on the remote planet Lah'mu. His knowledge is
crucial to complete the final key element of this
new weapon that, once fully operational, will be used to crush
any and all resistance and bring order to the galaxy..."
- Why have you removed Red Five's death? It tells us how Luke got his call sign and place in Red Group. It is a bit stupid in the way they've done it but perhaps you could have used some footage to of him leaving formation and trying to be a hero by goading the 4 TIE Fighters from the main group and leaving Red Leader's line "Stay Close Red Five, where're you going?" and then kill him without us seeing the pilot or his cry for help
It can also be removed like you did because there plenty unknown pilots and many died in battle. Either way it works.
- You could have trimmed part of the scene where Krennic shoots down Kassian and looks Jyn climbing up because, we don't see the Death Trooper that was shot and should dead on the floor
- When Vader enters the Profundity his chest plate and belt lights are off, maybe they've done that to create a more terrifying scene but i think it's wrong and later when he watches the Tantive IV fleeing the belt lights are on. It appears as if his suit is off without the lights. That would be difficult for him to use the force to sustain him and fight at the same time. If you could change this and add the lights it would be cool.
- I like Vader's gesture pulling the rebel soldier to the side
- I wish that a lot more sound effects could have been added, like turbolaser fire sounds, blasters, engines, etc like in that maple R1 fan edit that we spoke about. Two examples are the ISDs turbolasers and the Shield gate's turrets fire sounds
Overall i think it is a great edit and it'll be my edit of choice whenever i want to view R1.
PS: I hope you do a v2.0 if you feel it deserves some more editing =)
Another great Star Wars edit from DigModiFicaTion. I'm one of those who absolutely loved/love Rogue One.
To keep the review shorter this time, I simply list pros and cons in this review:
+ The added background music works well.
+ All the characters feel even more solid in this fanedit. I also must say that the characters were portrayed amazingly in the original version.
+ No more Bor Gullet.
+ Video/audio quality excellent in this fanedit. Many fanedits sadly fail in this regards.
- I personally liked the original music more when the Star Destroyers were destroyed by the Hammerhead Corvette. I mean, it's the theme song of the movie after all, and simply so amazing. Always brings me memories from the first viewing in the cinema. (I must say that Rogue One was the best movie I ever saw in cinema.)
This fanedit accomplishes nicely in what it was set out to do. It's subtle sure... but it's fine as I think Rogue One doesn't need that much changing in the first place.