tljanticringe-front-5
FanFix September 09, 2018 28570
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I appreciate the ballzyness of this edit and what was done to get rid of many of the more unpleasant edits. The characters in the film feel less foolish at all points and there is a greater focus on many of the good bits Rian Johnson managed to create, and it's clear a lot of good work was done here, I saw no real technical issues apart from some iffy audio bits, such as Yoda's voiceover during the Luke/Rey fight.

My only problem is, without the admittingly BAD subplot, there's a sense of something missing. The resistance feels ignored much of the movie, like they're barely even in the movie at all, and so you kind of just get the sense that you've been with Rey/Luke for a really long time and that you're missing...something. That's not necessarily the editor's fault, it's the fact that the original film had to pad itself in such a way that when the subplot is cut out there's just nothing happening on the Resistance side of things. They feel like window dressing, and don't even have character arcs anymore. It's kind of a shame, but you can't magically edit in a better subplot.

I'm kind of a fan of the various edits to Luke's subplot though, although my only issue is it almost doesn't seem to make sense for Luke to suddenly want the Jedi to die because it wasn't his failing that caused Kylo to turn. Then again, it doesn't make sense in the original film either, and his out of character moment of igniting his saber on someone defenseless sure as heck doesn't make sense, so you're kind of stuck.

Lastly, there's not much to explain how the FO finds the cloaked ships, they just kind of do. I guess the plan failed anyway? That also didn't make much sense in the original why they wouldn't just see the transports in space.

I definitely appreciated what you were going for, it does make some of the better bits from the film shine, though it can't save a badly written movie. I feel like you might fix some issues if you kept Canto Blight out but could somehow have Finn and Rose go on the ship straight away? I don't know if that's possible to do, but that's my only suggestion if there were to be a revision. It would give the rebels more to do in the movie while keeping out the most egregious bit.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply February 12, 2019

Thanks for your feedback and the long review mate!

U
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments