Review Detail

8.0 5 10
FanFix June 24, 2012 2349
(Updated: September 10, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by white43 — February 8, 2009 @ 11:30 pm

So, I’m in search of the best TPM edit and I thought I’d give this one a try. I did like Father Merrin’s Superman : Definitive Smallville Cut very much.

In my personal opinion – things I want done in a TPM edit: Cut down on Jar Jar’s stupidity, cut down on sickly sweet Anakin, cut Boss Nass ticks, cut bad dialogue and jokes. Cut pointless scenes. And I personally find Jar Jar and the Trade Federation voices annoying.

What I liked about this edit:

Changing the Trade Federation language to what seemed to be French or Spanish – This allows retention of scenes, but changing what they say.
Changing Gungan language – As above, and of course Jar Jar now sounds different and says different things.
Boss Nass – no ticks.
Removal of Pod Scene commentary.
Anakin deliberately takes the ship and destroys the Trade Federation ship.
Better ending, after the funderal of Qui Gonn.
No Midichlorians.
No virgin birth.

What I didn’t like:

Pod Scene too long and Jabba was in it.
Jar Jar’s stupid antics are somewhat still intact. I don’t want Jar Jar as comic relief, even in another language/
Underwater scenes and waterfall scenes are pointless and don’t need to be there.
Making Jar Jar a general.
There is still too much fluff in this edit; because you can change the language, doesn’t mean you should potentially keep more scenes.

Technical:
What on earth has happened to the picture? It’s grainy, washed out and fuzzy. There is pixellation here. It looks like a VHS transfer! This was a BIG letdown for me and I nearly stopped watching after 20 mins.

The sound was good.

I noted two errors in the subtitles, unfortunately I didn’t write them down! The first was a spelling mistake, the second was a use of ‘Your’, when it should have been ‘You’re’.

Overall, the edits were fairly seemless, but one certainly jolted me – this was in the end battle – or rather we’re brought back to it with a big explosion that seems, judging by the music, to be half way through something.

So, this is a good effort, alot of the ‘wants list’ is covered, but there’s still too much Jar Jar and a bad picture. I see this is supposed to be a new and improved version…I rather hope there’ll be another improved version…..
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments