Review Detail

9.7 39 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

After the past couple years of watching clips, giving feedback, and even contributing material to this edit, I finally thought "hey, I ought to watch this." Obviously, I'm glad I did.

This edit is really remarkable, and something of a landmark in the history of our little hobby here. While the majority of the changes are subtle, to the point where a casual fan might not even notice anything has changed (although I would argue they would still find the film a better experience whether they realized or not), the changes that are made are impressive in their ingenuity and technique. What Hal has done here, which I have hardly seen done elsewhere, is essentially wrangle an entire community of talented individuals - be they editors, VFX artists, sound designers, and even some actors - to make the most out of a film that is very difficult to fan edit (lacking deleted scenes when the main problem is the film feels too short).

Not every change I would make, and I think there are a few key changes that really should have been made that weren't, but you won't find me arguing this isn't much better than the original. While the whole team of fan editors on this get my praise, obviously Hal gets the main credit for managing the project, sifting through the clutter of a thousand ideas, and executing the final product with skill. Most of all, though, it's a testament to his ability, his past work, and his character that so many came out of the woodwork to help. Exciting stuff.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments