finalorder_spence_front
FanFix April 25, 2022 5463
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

JJ Abrams' The Rise of Skywalker is a retro-con sequel to The Last Jedi.

Spence's THE FINAL ORDER is a DIRECT CONTINUATION of The Last Jedi.

And a glorious continuation it is!

I have a love/hate relationship with The Last Jedi. I hate the first half, but love the final half. So I was very nervous what my reaction would be to Spence's latest epic. I shouldn't have been. Spence delivers a rousing, break neck pace narrative that never loses sight of it's emotional core or driving themes.

This is a story of self-empowerment. Instead of being pawns of Destiny, Rey and Ben break their shackles and choose their own paths. It is a bold and tricky new narrative to achieve and in lesser hands probably would not work, but Spense pulls the proverbial rabbit out of the magic hat and delivers a powerful alternate vision.

There is only one pivotal moment involving Kylo Ren that did not 100% work for me, but it does add clarity to later actions and sells the emotion of the moment.

It has to be noted and applauded that the first hour of this edit is almost completely different from the original. Scenes are moved around and restructured, changing their context and emotional beat, that result in a much stronger second half. Spence has also masterfully altered/trimmed/replaced dialogue in many sequences to fit his new narrative and there was only a couple occasions where this was noticeable to me. And of course, new musical choices, that both significantly change the meaning of a scene and reinforces the new themes Spence has created.

Spence has easily achieved and surpassed his set out editing goals -- staying true to The Last Jedi concept that Rey is a "nobody", and crafting a very different and emotionally rewarding hero's journey.

BRAVO!!!

Highly Recommended! :)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments