starwars_abridged2_front
FanFix April 06, 2021 4351
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a really good condensed edit of the original trilogy, the new narrative works for the most part, and the editing is really good throughout. There were a few times where the cuts weren’t completely clean, as in a few times there’s a split second of a clip before moving to the next one, and I think those could be cleaned up a bit, there’s one around 1:59:50, however, these are few and far between. The plotlines cut out make perfect sense to be removed and don’t negatively affect the edit. There are, however, a few moments in the reworked narrative that don’t completely work. Some of the story editing before the Hoth Battle doesn’t quite work, and some of the editing around removing Han’s capture is a bit clunky, but this does function quite well.

My biggest complaint is the use of the SC-38 fan film version of Obi-Wan and Darth Vader’s duel. I don’t dislike the idea of using it, but too much of the sequence is used and I think it would have been much stronger if only the first part of that sequence was in the edit. The second and third times you cut to it just don’t work because the production values between the 2 scenes are just way too big to be natural and the added music and the added shots during the death scene only diminish the entire sequence. The death should have just been the original scene. My only other complaints are that I feel the opening with Rogue One and the ending using A New Hope don’t really work. However, I still thought the edit as a whole was really well done, and I’d recommend it to anyone who wants a shorter version of the original trilogy.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
D
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments