FanFix August 14, 2012 4171
(Updated: January 06, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Firstly, I want to both apologise for my tardiness at watching and reviewing this edit, both as a fellow huge TOS fan, and also to make clear that because I am watching over a decade on from when this was made, I will take the time factor into consideration. These are just my thoughts...

I love the TOS structure of pre-titles through to commercial breaks etc. How did you create that gorgeous title sequence?

All the breaks were fitting and made me want to keep watching if this was on TV.

I am also impressed and overjoyed at the placement of TOS music! If one were to re-do this now, with the TOS soundtrack collection out there, we have a wealth of material to now choose from, some probably more appropriate in places than what Bob had at the time.

This leads me to my next point: I adore TOS music but found The Doomsday Machine score repetitive. At that point in time, other episodes' cues were available, and Where No Man Has Gone Before music may have been fitting in places. I found the Doomsday Machine music when Kirk and Carol talk about David alone, unnecessary and a little messy. I think the silence, or more pensive music would have been better. But that's just me.

I also think the TNG Inner Light music, while beautifully realised, completely inappropriate to the TOS feel that Bob was going for. Lovely, but not necessary.

I loved the flashback moments. I think b/w works fine, and the choice of clips was suitable, but if this was to be done today, I would pull the original effects version from the blu ray, as the TOS-R footage is jarring.

I *loved* the trailer, but am puzzled at its placement just before the main feature.

The epilogue was perfect.

The end titles were great, but I wonder if all the film credits were included in such a short space of time?

Also, I'm not sure what aspect ratio we were going for here?

To be clear: I enjoyed this alternate take, and whilst just a little more Khan would have been good, the tension of not seeing Khan in that final battle is nail-biting,and I think we can all agree that communication from Khan, literally spitting at Kirk, replacing his original miniature monologue, was simply masterful.

An edit that, despite its age,must be watched by any Trekkie (or -er!)
T
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments