starbeast_front
FanFix March 04, 2022 5011
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

So, this edit was a trip! I watched the version with trailers before the feature. Definitely should be noted the theatrical is a rated R movie but the edit is like a hard-R. The tone is generally lighter but there is more graphic content. So if you're looking for a double feature with another grindhouse fanedit, this'll do but put the kids to sleep first (I would say the same about the theatrical honestly).

Audio/Video Quality:
That said, it's got a very accurate grindhouse feel and the added content is part of that. There were some moments where compositing wasn't ideal, and moments where I wish there was slightly more damage, so one point off Audio/Video Quality, but a lot of effort was put into the look overall and the flaws were in parts that were necessary to tell the changed story, so it's still a high 9.

Visual Editing:
The cuts that were supposed to be seamless were, and the ones that had attention drawn to them helped bolster the authenticity and added to the presentation.

Audio Editing:
The music changed the tone a lot, some songs are stuck in my head days later. I didn't love all of them and not all are necessarily period appropriate but it all worked for the edit's intentions.

Narrative:
Plot changes from the original help it stay fresh, and the changes were the best parts. The original movie is slow paced and at some points I felt like the edit could have been cut down for faster pacing to fit the new punchier tone, like before they wake up, some of the waiting to see what happens to Kane or some of the wandering looking for the title creature later on. Use of deleted material and some other unexpected additions and grindhouse staples also helped keep it pretty fresh. Still a 9

Enjoyment:
I like Alien and am very familiar with it, so that familiarity made me impatient with some of the slower parts, even with the new score. But despite what I would consider a dip in "energy" in the middle, the edit has an attitude and identity of its own, is well-edited with a lot of passion and creativity, and surprises which I hope I haven't spoiled. I loved the end, and I stuck around after the credits. I hovered between 8 and 9 but am going with 9 because this is the kind of edit I like to see, changing the story and trying to give as different an experience from the original film as possible, rather than "fixing" any perceived flaws or gripes. Great job, hope to see more!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments