TV-to-Movie June 21, 2020 2612
(Updated: March 17, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Let me start this review by saying I could not give this a rating of 10 across the board.

Why would I do that?

Even though it's sourced from Blu-ray, the quality of the video source leaves a lot to be desired. It's far too blurry for being from a Blu-Ray. I lay 100% of the blame on the studio for doing such a bad transfer. And because the source is so poor, cropping it to 16x9 makes it even worse. I understand Conrad was trying to give the viewer a more thematic experience, however the way the TV Miniseries was filmed doesn't really allow for proper 16x9 cropping. If this fan edit was also available in the original aspect ratio, I would be more pleased with it. Nevertheless, Conrad could do nothing about the video source. He did an excellent job cropping it to 16x9 and his use of panning and scanning is spot on.

Starting with the opening of this fan edit, I've got to say I love it. Conrad truncated the original opening and this fan edit is all the better for it. The original footage was completely unnecessary to get the ball rolling and Conrad's choice to eliminate footage and move the story along works extremely well here and throughout the entire fan edit. His edits are well thought out and executed perfectly.

His narrative choices and judicious editing of unnecessary material makes the movie flow much better than the original miniseries. I really appreciate his transitions between scenes and how he seamlessly guides the viewer with his choices. I'd also like to commend Conrad for choosing to update the music. He kept just the right songs while removing ones that didn't work and adding other great music.

Conrad has only released one other edit besides this one, which is also very good. I'd like to see what he could do with other miniseries out there or whole television seasons. He's extremely talented.

Overall, I really like this edit. It's top on my list of fan edits for this title. Don't let my lower score deter you from watching this fan edit. Like I said, the lower rating is based solely on the source material. Even the greatest editor can do only so much with poor video source, bad writing, and poor acting.

Great job Conrad... I highly suggest you check out this edit.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments