FanFix June 05, 2022 1417
(Updated: July 16, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

THIS IS HOW I WANT TO REMEMBER the gretaest double act in history.

The BBC have over the past decade or so made a slew of biopics, mostly 60 min features for TV broadcast and they all have many things in common. Superbr production, excelent performances that draw you in and a consistent obession with showing us the conflict and dark side of their lives. Barbar Windsor, Kenneth Williams even Eric and Ernie did not escape some opobrium and Stan and Ollie was no exception.

I was enthralled by this movie when it was released, so much so I saw it twice in theatres, but each time I was left with a bad taste...that feeling that I had just had a custard pie slapped in my face...you know the expression!.

I am now delighted to say that the pie has been left in the cold box, and I can finally watch this withou wincing.

The recreation of the set pices is meticulous, and I even made a sis by side comparison.

My only qualm isthat it was shot with a far too wide aspect ration 1:1.85 would have been enough for me but this one is tough to re-frame. Having it it however in B&W was a touch of genius...I'd expect a 16:9 broadcast open frame at some point (so keep an eye on the listings).

ParanoidAndroid has done a great job surgically excising those sadder moments of conflict and hubris and left us with a gem of a film to enjoy and delight.

This has been addded to my Laurel and Hardy Box Set!

"another fine edit"!

SUPERB!

Owner's reply July 17, 2022

Wonderful, that is truly an honour!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments