splitunbreak_front
FanMix August 09, 2021 6971
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I am very new to the community of fan editing and this is the first full edit that I have sat down and watched in earnest. I am a big fan of the Shyamalan’s original trilogy and have seen all of the films multiple times, so I was very excited to see what Wraith was able to do with them.

Audio/Video Quality – 10

Everything in the AV department was overall great. The cuts between the different films blended smoothly and if I had not seen the originals, I doubt I would have been able to pick out which scenes were from which film easily. No complaints here.

Visual Editing – 10

This is one area where I was thoroughly impressed. I won’t go into any spoilers, but there were a few scenes where I actually paused and went back to rewatch something that was changed from the original. These edits were done so seamlessly that a new viewer would never know that the scene had been altered at all. Fantastic work.

Audio Editing – 9

I watched this on my bedroom tv streaming from my home plex server, so I can’t speak too much on the fine details of the audio editing. What I can say is that I was not constantly fighting the volume controls because of audio balancing where I couldn’t hear the actors like I often deal with when watching plenty of films. Nothing in this category broke my immersion at all, and that is a good thing.

Narrative – 8

The new narrative structure kept things fresh and had me engaged the entire time. This cut is 3 hours and 30 minutes long, but it did not feel that long when watching. The new narrative feels like Glass was the main shell of the edit with scenes from Unbreakable and Split mixed in so that the viewer has a complete understanding of the story. For the most part, I did not miss any of the scenes that were completely cut from the movies and their removal contributed to keeping the forward momentum going. I think the only time that I was given pause on the narrative is during some of the Split scenes where there are three girls and then eventually one of the girls disappears without explanation until later in the film. A minor nitpick and not a massive deal imo. Scenes from previous films were spliced into certain scenes from Glass that added a new sense of emotional impact and gravitas that the original version was completely lacking. The improvements on the portions of Glass were easily my biggest takeaway from this edit.

Enjoyment - 9

Overall, I had a fantastic time watching this edit and seeing what Wraith was able to accomplish by mixing these three films together. I don’t think it stands as a replacement for the original trilogy, but as a companion to them. When I want to rewatch the whole story in one sitting or just don’t feel like watching the three originals, I’ll have this one to go back to.
I would 100% recommend this edit to anyone who enjoyed the original films and would like to experience this story in a new way. You are certainly in for some moments that will make you see things a new way and smile.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply October 10, 2021

Thanks you for the generous words. All reviews are always appreciated.

I would note that Dennis tells Casey at 46min 45 sec that the first girl is going to be kept separate, and we see Patricia lock her away, So now we have two left. That does all happen in about 10 secs mind you, so easily missed. After that , though we do not see the other girl when Hedwig invites Casey out of the room, the presumption is she is there, since the scenes plays in close up...and Hedwig takes Casey away from the room where they both are, thus isolating Casey for the remainder of that thread of the narrative. I hope that clarifies and addresses similar observations.

Thanks again, and feel free to PM me with any Qs etc. - W -

Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments