9.3 10 10
TV-to-Movie December 01, 2015 9169
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I have a real soft spot for the 90s Spider-Man show and this arc in particular, it turned me into a rabid Spidey fan for five minutes in the mid-90s before I returned to my otherwise 40-year DC obsessive streak. It was great to see PE tweak this three-parter into a more substantive mini-film that holds up much better to modern scrutiny. Venom was never going to be as cool as his build-up suggests, and his behaviour in the final act suggests a half-hearted stalker rather than the gravest threat our hero has ever faced, but at least we no longer have to endure "Venom, angry trucker" that we've all seen the .gif of.

On this re-watch I had to wonder if the decision to make the primary plot revolve around purely John Romita-created villains (Kingpin, Shocker, Rhino) was a coincidence, as if the lack of Ditko's deeply unsettling rogues gallery might not make for a strong enough contrast with Venom. Food for thought, anyway; but while the original story could have used a little less JR and a little more Todd McFarlane in its DNA, PE has still made the best possible version of this story sequence and as a nostalgia trip, it's a damn good one.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
R
Top 10 Reviewer 156 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments