FanFix August 24, 2020 6347
(Updated: December 08, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Well, that was unexpected. I was hoping that the overstuffed mess that was the original SM3 would be a bit tempered by Bobson's expert editing, but this was so much better than I had hoped. While I'm not a big fan of the Raimi Trilogy's overwrought melodrama (even by superhero comic standards) and lax pacing, this edit manages to sidestep and correct those flaws here to a thrilling degree. Being packed with new and recurring characters actually helps the movie glide along at a really enjoyable clip -- if you don't like Sandman, wait a second, you'll get the Eddie Brock-Gwen Stacy-Peter-MJ love quadrangle in action; if you don't like that, just wait, Willem Dafoe's ghost will be along shortly to berate James Franco, and so on. The worst sins of the original version, namely "emo Peter" and Sandman as Uncle Ben's killer, have been eliminated and what's left is a glorious grand guignol joyride, with a powerful, insane climactic fight scene that pays off lots of emotional arcs from the trilogy in a satisfying way.

So yeah, I really wasn't planning to have SM3 ascend to near the top of my favourite Spidey/Marvel/superhero-in-general movies, but hey, that's the magic of fan-editing in action.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
R
Top 10 Reviewer 156 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments