Spider-Man 3: Redemption by Badscooter
In this version Flint Marko is no longer the killer of Peter’s uncle, a lot of the humour has also been removed. Peter’s fall to the darkside is no longer brought about through guilt but through his ego and new found self importance.
This version gives more focus to the journeys of Peter and Harry and how both find redemption for themselves.
Studio & director couldn’t agree and production was fraught with scripting & scheduling problems.
The final film felt rushed with too many villains and inter connecting stories all fighting for screen time. Fans felt cheated in the handling of characters & classic storylines.
Now there is Spider-Man 3 Redemption. A true fan edit that finds a tighter movie with villains moved to supporting roles to allow the Peter/Harry story to reach its deserved finale.
- Sandman is no longer Uncle Ben’s killer. I have removed all elements of this from the movie.
- Gwen Stacy is no longer a model. All references to this have been removed. It’s hard enough to believe the Peter is dating one model/actress without adding another to the story.Gwen remains now as as an unintentional antagonist to Mary Jane.
- Harry now helps Peter through his own free will; he no longer needs the butler to explain about Norman’s death.
- The symbiote attaches it self to Peter when he is vulnerable after the disaster of his proposal to Mary Jane. His guilt over killing the man he thought responsible for Ben’s death no longer plays a part.
- I have removed a lot of the humour which I felt didn’t work such as the Peter strut & JJ’s desk.
- The Jazz club scene is also shorter removing most of the dance.
- The news reporter and all the scenes with kids have been trimmed or removed as I felt there was over kill in the original cut.
- I have also cut lines of dialogue I felt unnecessary or cheesy, some I couldn’t remove due to it causing problems with the tone of other lines delivery or musical cues sounding out of place. Leaving these lines in shouldn’t cause too many problems.
Thank you for this edit, Badscooter. It's a huge improvement over the original version.
I recommend this edit to anyone who enjoyed certain elements of Spider-Man 3, but was turned off by its overall goofiness and lame subplots. I love that Sandman doesn't have a personal connection to Peter anymore (the scene where black-suit Spider-Man angrily goes after Sandman and 'kills' him, now comes across as a jealous and ego-inflated Spider-Man going after the guy who beat him in an earlier fight, rather than going after the man who killed his uncle. This actually makes Peter's descent with the symbiote seem much much darker).
I also like that some of Gwen Stacy's stuff was cut out. Her character wasn't done well in this series.
With this edit, I found myself sympathizing with Harry and MJ A LOT more.
And of course, the greatest thing about this edit is that there's no ridiculous montage of Peter being 'bad'.
I thought all the editing was great, and I like the image of MJ that flashed as Peter was in bed and about to be taken by the symbiote. I would have removed the images of Ben Parker though since they seemed to come out of nowhere.
I like the small edits here and there of removing silly one-liner humour...it helped keep me engaged in the drama and action.
And the only thing in this edit that still significantly bothered me was how Peter sort of danced along with the marching band at the ceremony to give Spider-Man the key to the city.
Overall, a great edit that turned an unwatchable movie into a very watchable one.
Not bad. Spider-Man 3 is terrible, and some stuff I hate are still here (AMNESIA!!!) plus the quality of the edit is... Ehh, it's okay I guess.
It's a pretty fun edit though, and I loved what Badscooter has done in some parts. Much better than the theatrical version.
I can't give much input on the audio/video quality as I only watched the avi on a laptop screen and laptop speakers. That said, it sounded great and I didn't notice any problems.
The visual editing was great. I couldn't notice any hard cuts. In fact, the only time where I really noticed a cut was during the ending dialogue between Sandman and Peter. This was probably one of the harder spots to cut since a lot probably had to do with uncle Ben.
The audio editing was also great. The one recommendation I would make is to remove Peter referencing the Sandman by name when they are fighting in the subway/sewers. This is an artifact of being told about the true ID of ben's killer, and it seems out of place. Peter could of learned his name on TV, but it is strange as an audience who doesn't really even know his name.
As for the narrative, it is improved, but this edit also reveals to me just how weak the original narrative is and how much it relies on both venom and the Sandman's identity. The source just had too much going on, and it's hard to work with.
Even though this was an improvement, this edit had me seriously wondering about the Sandman. Why does Peter care about him and why is he so merciless toward him? Why does the Sandman want to kill Peter and why does he join up with Venom? Is he a killer or not? Some of these questions are problems with the original, but they are emphasized in this edit. One possible suggestion would be to move Spiderman's hatred of Sandman and attempted murder of Sandman to later in the movie around when he does the same to Harry. It's then that we see the influence Venom has on Peter and his anger toward Sandman in that subway fight would make more sense at that point. As is, we are confused on why Spiderman is ruthless. Later on we realize the influence the suit has on him.
Of course the strength of this edit is how it highlights MJ, Harry, and Peter. Sandman's plot is worthless imo, and Venom's was half-assed. If only the source had kept Venom and Sandman out of it.. Nonetheless, the weak dialogue and character motivations of the source still haunt this edit.
Overall, good job with the source material. I recommend this edit. And for any doubters, three things make this my go-to version:
1. Opening sequence: No narrating Spidey!!!
2. Sandman: not Ben's killer!
3. Harry: helps without Bernard's dumb advice!