(Updated: March 12, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Amazing work.

Very likely going to become my go-to version of the film. It takes a theatrical edit I already liked, and makes it so much more with just a few choice cuts, and of course the excellent rescoring choices/execution.

I'm no expert but it didn't feel like I was watching a fanedit at all. And still kept in some humor and enough levity that it still feels like the kids movie it always was (and should be, I guess!).

The bar fight being rescored with the Mirage Saloon music worked perfectly, and I'll admit as someone that never played Sonic Adventure 2 (sorry), I had to think for a second at the start of the Robotnik Dancing research bit whether it had even been rescored (but the lyrics referencing Eggman worked if you buy him as an egomaniac, as I do).

Little removals like keeping him saying 'I feel like Vin Diesel' but without laying on the 'family' bit make it feel like a proper movie reference he'd make after watching hundreds of movies with them, but without laboring it. Works really well.

And I love the trims to Rachel's interjections. I hope if you ever make a Sonic 2 edit in a similar vein, we get the same haha.

The most interesting subtle cuts to dialog for me was in the reception scene. Trimming the Montana and 'child in the bag' jokes make them much better. I'd imagined it myself originally as going 'do you have your child in that bag?!' '*[Smile]* No!' and then cutting, but then we'd lose the over the top inappropriateness of the 'dog cage' bit that I love lol, so thanks for keeping that. Much funnier though, well done. This is what pushed it from a 9 for Enjoyment up to a 10!

Slightly sad that Sonic still flosses but I'm not actually sure it's possible without feeling jarring! And it's nice that it cuts away so quickly.

So, yes, highly recommended. Very highly. Thanks, and should a Sonic 2 DX ever be made, I'd be *very* excited to check it out.

Thanks Octoroxx!

(EDIT: Oh, only thing I'd change is to potentially swap the Escape From The City music with the instrumental version, which I see is a thing, but I've never been a fan of the too on-the nose lyrics of some Sonic music. That's just me nitpicking!)

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments