TV-to-Movie August 13, 2012 4347
(Updated: July 30, 2015)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I would recommend this edit if you are already a big fan of the show or your S.O. wanted you to catch up on season 1 of smallville.

Video:

The video quality was good and the added contrast to the video gave the movie a more serious look. The increased color gain wasn't overwhelming and added to some of the scenes emotionally which was nice.

Audio:

One thing that erked me about this edit was that it was just ever so slightly sped up. I don't know if this was intentional or part of the source translation by chance, but it is something that is often done to films that are too long/slow. It really bothers me because It makes everyone sound like they are huffing helium. If it wasn't for that, I would say it was beneficial in that Smallville does tend to be a little bit slow at times. If the audio pitch could haven be compensated, it wouldn't have bothered me as much I don't think.

Story:

The very beginning of the edit is a very good origin story plot with a very classic pacing. Some where in the middle of part 1, it became very much a series of sort order episodes. Part 2 seemed to be a stringing together of the "tempest/vortex" story with only very light editing. While there is nothing wrong with this, it just seemed like it's own separate edit from part 1 because they are so different in style.

The narrative does not veer from the Smallville storyline in anyway that I could tell. The "Comic book" stills were a really good idea that played well in the opening credits. But I often felt that they would sometimes miss that "snap shot" moment and instead would freeze frame after the moment was gone. It would have been really good to use that effect to break up the many "chapters" in the edit, but alas, that did not happen.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
K
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments