Review Detail

9.0 13 10
TV-to-Movie August 13, 2012 4390
(Updated: September 13, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by BigDamnHero — May 4, 2011 @ 3:47 am

I’ve been watching this show since I was 13, and I’m now 24. Having grown up with it, I’ve become more and more aware of it’s weaknesses, but at the same time I still feel that it has some very good moments where the Clark Kent we all know and love shines through. Unfortunately, those moments are few and far between in the series. I’ve always thought that those quality moments could be strung together in a way that gave us a glimpse into what Smallville could be at its greatest, but it was always just a dream.

Now, thanks to Last Survivor and Smallville Destiny, that dream is a reality.

When I first started watching this I expected it to be an intriguing idea, but not much more. Well I was in for quite a surprise. Smallville Destiny is great! I can’t believe how good this edit is, from both a technical and entertainment standpoint.

First of all, the intro and new theme were amazing. I loved the parallels between Clark and Lex, and the song was perfect. In fact, all of the soundtrack was vastly improved. It went from a really good TV show soundtrack to an epic movie soundtrack. I feel that it was one of the best things about the edit.

The episodes used to create this edit were great choices I have to say. I especially liked Ryan’s arc at the end of part 1 – it was a perfect episode to show Clark growing into his Superman persona, especially with the allusions to Warrior Angel. And what an ending! I always felt they wasted that song in the series, it’s so much better here – I got goosebumps!

Like BionicBob said, we don’t get to see a lot of Clark in action, but that never really bothered me. In the series, it was always the same thing anyway – he runs in at the last second and saves the victim who just happens to pass out/not see him. Now, Clark’s heroic moments are saved till the end of each part, and the payoff is much better. This is especially true for the second part, with such a phenomenal apex and Clark at his most Superman-esque. Plus, the edit holds up to it’s name: it’s about Kal-el’s destiny, and how he becomes the man of steel, not an action romp.

While it doesn’t replace the show, Smallville Destiny is a wonderful compliment to it – and in many ways it’s better. You can really feel the parallels between Clark and Lex far more than in the original, 22 episode season. And you can see more clearly how their lives are shaped, and what events lead to them taking the paths they eventually do. In the end there is still a lot for us to wonder about, but that last little post-credit scene gave me hope for a SD:2! :D

I can’t recommend this edit highly enough, whether you’re a fan of the show, or even just a Superman fan in general. Maybe it’s nostalgia, but it was the most fun I’ve had watching a TV show in a long time. Thanks, Last Survivor!

9/10
B
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments