(Updated: July 15, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

An excellent fanedit!

I had, totally coincidentally, recently re-watched 1994's "The Shadow" for the first time in well over a decade and walked away feeling it was a movie that could be improved with a solid re-edit. Lo and behold, I stumble across "The Shadow Knows" and find Lapis Molari has addressed every issue I had with the film! The movie now starts where it logically should, in New York, and the at times painful prologue sequence has been excised and repurposed as dream sequences. Well done! The new opening credit sequence is creative and well-implemented, and considering I'd just seen the theatrical cut recently I was astounded at how seamless the cuts were.

As noted in the change notes, the most noticeable - for me, probably because I'd just seen the theatrical cut - are the cuts to the finale, which do make it feel a bit rushed but it works well despite that. My biggest nitpick is something the editor could do nothing about: the fanedit is in 1.78:1 aspect ratio as presented in the Shout Factory blu-ray and not the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Aside from that, excellent!

Definitely recommended!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply July 15, 2021

The Shout Factory bluray changed the 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratio into 1.78:1 by opening up the matte (nothing was cut left or right, instead a little was added top and bottom). If you prefer the theatrical ratio, you can crop the edit to match it.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments