Review Detail

9.0 32 10
FanFix August 13, 2012 4451
(Updated: September 12, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by Akitsu — August 29, 2008 @ 6:24 pm

Wow. That was truly an amazing edit. Not only does this version repair ALL the characters (Cholo (John Leguizamo) is now a badass you can emphasize with and gets a lot more screentime, Asia Argento can suddenly act, and Charlie… who used to be a dead shot idiot savant is now an awesome character who says little but leaves a lasting impression) All in all, the very fact that Mollo has managed to reedit nearly every single character into something better is an achievement unto itself.

Then there’s the story. Gone are the ways of money. Gone are the nonsensicle EMOZOMBIES (Although I must say, their evolution is still there… and makes a lot more sense… going on a line of logical progression). Thankfully also gone is the sk8rboi… who’s headphone wearing idiocy dragged the whole movie down in the third act.

This edit is exactly the way Romero SHOULD have released Land. It would have been a critically acclaimed winner and led to bigger budget films, not throw away Diary of the Dead stuff.

DVD Quality:

There’s minimal menus, but they set the tone nicely. I simply love that song, which is also used in the credits. The addition of a editing room floor compilation is good, but woefully painful to watch. It does help remind you just how bad the original movie is. My only real gripe is one that won’t bother widescreen viewers. For 4:3 people there’s a line all the way at the bottom of the frame, well below the letterbox, that appears only in some scenes. The effect deters from the edit only slightly though, and as I said… it won’t be evident to widescreen viewers.

Verdict:

Download the bloody movie now! It’s an absolute must see at this point.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments