9.5 3 10
Special Projects February 03, 2019 6535
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Up front, I will say this: I missed "bitches leave." One of the great line deliveries in the history of motion pictures and it's just gone. Kurtwood Smith would not stand for this.

On the plus side, I loved literally everything else about this cut. As much as I can't get enough of Robocop in its original form, I've always thought that the subversiveness of the concept would have worked better in a slightly less over-the-top, hard-R setting, allowing younger viewers to better have their minds blown by a Franken-zombie who fights back against his omnipresent corporate masters. Plus, having the intense violence occur just off-screen allows the viewer to imagine the horrifying violence on their own, which only adds to its power.

Besides aesthetic reasons, the network-TV version is how I first watched this fine piece of sci-fi cinema, so it worked for me on a nostalgic level, which I suspect is the primary point. Nevertheless, this might just be my go-to Robocop version from now on. I might even try splicing in some mid-90s commercials, just to see how well they sit next to the terrifyingly dystopic creature that is Mary Hart, newsanchor.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
R
Top 10 Reviewer 156 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments