9.7 6 10
FanFix December 21, 2018 6378
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This fan edit is pretty straight forward really. It cuts out the distracting scenes of Wonka's childhood, which helps enormously with the pacing. The problem with the theatrical release is that it's probably is more suited to the title "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" than the original 1971 release as it's all about Johnny Depp's character rather than Charlie. I think it's actually impossible to make Charlie a more central character to Wonka as the camera and narrative is glued to him. It's definitely the "Johnny Depp Wonka Show" and no editing can really change that much.

I'm so glad that the "absolutely not" line has been removed on when Charlie has just won and asks Wonka if his family can come. I found that line too cold for Wonka really and I never did like the whole backstory anyway, so again, I'm glad it's cut out.

I obviously wish there was a way to cut out all of the horrid songs (god, they're awful), but it's an impossible task as they hold the scenes together with how the narrative plays out. You can't even cut the cheesy puppet scene on Wonka's introduction as there's no other way to introduce Wonka. You can't do too much with the film at all really. But you got rid of the padding and that was good enough.

If I was ever to watch this film again then this would definitely be my way to watch it. The editing itself is amazing. It's professionally made and executed well. Congrats with it!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
DVD
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
December 12, 2020
"You can't even cut the cheesy puppet scene on Wonka's introduction"
Oh, you can! Just check out my edit "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory - Book Cut"
https://ifdb.fanedit.org/charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory-book-cut-edition/
M
mr-lovebucket
April 21, 2021
@mr-lovebucket Indeed, I was shocked that it was possible. It was a massive improvement and I hope you read my review on your edit.
D
davie
2 results - showing 1 - 2