FanMix November 02, 2015 9399
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

TOUGH ONE to review....

Alien 3 has become my fave entry in the franchise over the year's aided in no small measure by the extended version that was released. Resurrection has some nice ideas but the flesh coloured attrocity at then end is almost a comedic parody, further hampered by what feels like a script written by comittee. So where do I come out on this effort?

Well, the effort is there for sure!

Any kind of narrative experiment is going to prove challenging to deliver and to watch since there will always be a significant deviation from the source material. Many of the interweavings are inspired and deftly handled but as has been said already in other reviews, this is definitely and edit of two halves....I found myself progressively pulled in during the first half as I increasingly believed that the execution would deliver a satisfying conclusion. However, as previously pointed out, the necessary excisions to both entries combine to diminish them despite the cretive effort here (ACADEMY ARE YOU THERE? TO ADJUST THE RATING CATEGORIES, PLEASE). The overall narrative does not quite come togethere and there is a sense that these are two movies.

I completely respect how challenging this is and for sure I was engaged, but I do feel that an extra 30 mins could have made all the difference here. The use of B & W is inspired and certainly helps blend these two polar opposite entries (and makes the Resurrection finale more palatable).

In the end, the two sources are to polarizing and as much as Resurrection is improved here (excising the agredious) it is outweighed by the diminishment of Alien 3. That's is not to say that this is not an interesting and worthwhile viewing...it is, but ultimately I hope a V2 emerges...which I believe could indeed lift this experiment further.

Definitely recommended
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments