Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith – The Spence Edit
So I tried to use his principals and points of view to create a Revenge of the Sith edit I could watch along with Phantom Editor’s prior versions. It won’t feel exactly like a Phantom Editor edit of course, as it’s from my point of view which will always be different, and also he is a much better editor than me. But I feel like I can watch this version and confidently enjoy the film.
- Cut any lines or scenes that I found redundant.
- Attempted to cut any unnecessary pauses, camera shots, anything that slows down the pace and momentum of the film.
- Cut the buzz droids.
- Cut the missiles sequence to get them to the Invisible Hand faster.
- Removed the first elevator sequence. They get in the elevator and arrive to fight Dooku.
- Removed Palp’s little “Yeah!” thing. Not sure what that was but it’s gone.
- Removed the bit where Dooku drops a piece of scaffold onto Obi-Wan.
- Removed all of R2′s shenanigans.
- Added some music from KOTOR over the Jedi vs. Grievous guards sequence.
- Cut the scene where Yoda gives Anakin advice he never uses or mentions again. Because, well, he never uses it or mentions it again.
- Removed all the awkward “floating head over video game body ” clone trooper sequences.
- Trimmed as much of the squaking from that bird-lizard thing as possible. Drives me nuts!
- Removed Grievous’ line about being trained to use a lightsaber. It’s redundant since two seconds later, he uses a lightsaber.
- Removed the silly Sergio Leone eye close ups from the Obi/Grievous fight.
- Anakin catches onto Palps being a sith lord a little faster. Because, try as Lucas might, Anakin is not retarded.
- Trimmed a little of the Grievous chase scene.
- Palps vs. Jedi sequence has been reworked. Lucas somehow made him seem gymnastic and geriatric at the same time. I lessened both of those factors. Also, the other Jedi don’t go out like bitches. They now seem caught off guard.
- The entire transition to Vader sequence has been trimmed, cut and moved around to the point where I can’t really remember what I actually did. But I can tell you that i feel confident in this version working much better than original version.
- Cut the mission to Mustafar being mentioned 30 bajillion times. Once is enough.
- After Order 66, there’s more or less some sort of cut every 30 seconds. The pacing should’ve been brisk and fast and intense and it wasn’t. So I tried to get that momentum going as much as I could and removed lots of dead weight.
- I cut that weird moment where Anakin’s eyes appear orange. Yeah, I know, it’s a Sith trait, it’s happened before, blah blah blah, but the whole shot just feels like it’s there so they can stick it in the trailer over the Darth Vader theme.
- I cut the entire Obi-Wan/Anakin fight into one giant, tightly paced four minute action sequence. Some of the fight was removed, but it really flows now and is a lot more exciting.
- NO PALPATING YODA FIGHT. Yoda, in my Star Wars world, does not flip around like a monkey with a lightsaber. The only time he uses his saber is to behead the two clone troopers that were going to try and kill him. I like the idea that he uses all his strength to do that, but thats about all he’s capable of at his age.
- I cut all the talking between Anakin and Obi-Wan during the fight. They are Jedi and they are in fighting mode, they aren’t gonna stop and talk about it. I also cut Obi announcing to Anakin he has the high ground. If his mission is to kill Anakin, and he has already said “I will do what I must” why would he announce his advantage? It just makes him appear weak.
- Removed some droid silliness. I’m all for droid silliness, but not at this moment of the film.
- Padme has no longer “lost the will to live” because that always felt like she was saying “F**k you twins, you’re on your own!”
- I redid the whole “Nooooo!” thing. It’s shorter, more clean, and looks better.
- I removed any reference to Qui-Gon and new training and all that stuff. It was half-baked, not very well thought out, and it’s too much new info too late in the film.
- I did not add any deleted scenes into the film, as i didn’t find any of them necessary or particularly helpful.
Review by ctorbaoglu — December 12, 2011 @ 1:21 am
I think that I’m getting fan of Spence editions.
View all my reviews (1)
Review by drjack69 — May 17, 2010 @ 1:03 pm
This is great! this is exactly what I was after, and I can now watch revenge of the sith without wincing.
Only gripes are:
We don’t need the “Nooooo” bit at all. I’ve edited that out myself from this so you see Vaders mask being lowered then the next time you see him he’s standing on the bridge with Tarkin and the Emperor. Not a dig at this edit but I really can’t see Vader even using the word “OK” or “Alright”.
The dialogue with the medical droid is perfect, but we now have a shot of it and then a closer shot of it. It seems a bit clunky but I suppose it was difficult to get right.
Other than that… top notch! I’ve downloaded the Spence edit for attack of the clones in the hope that it is as good as this!