Return of the Jedi: RemasteredFeatured
- removed 3PO’s captain obvious moment where he says “Oh look, it’s Captain Solo, and he’s still frozen in carbonite.”
- remove droid screams in droid torture scene. (Lovingly borrowed audio from Ziggy's edit here)
- cut out disintegration of the past protocol droid.
- Both Jedi Rocks and Lapti Nek are very bad, so neither of those survives my edit, but I did retain the nice little musical piece that the harmonica-playing turtle was doing. This also means that Jabba’s servant doesn’t fall down the pit. This makes it more of a surprise when Luke falls into the Rancor pit himself.
- Rescored Chewie’s getting taking away with “Bounty for a Wookie”. (This idea is borrowed from the Dan Edit)
- removed Boba Fett’s nod at Boush.
- We no longer see Lando pull his mask down.
- cut out the frog burping outside of Jabba’s palace
- added force choke sfx when Luke approaches the two Gamorrean guards. (Lovingly borrowed audio from Ziggy's Edit here)
- Trim Luke and Han’s dialogue scene on the skiff so it ends on Han saying “you’re going to die here, you know”
- added music to the scene between Luke and Obi-Wan on Dagobah for improved emotional effect.
- cut Han and Lando's conversation before rebel briefing starts.
- took out Han’s line of “good luck, your gonna need it.”
- took out 3PO’s line of “exciting is hardly the word I would choose.”
- took out the entire scene of Lando and Han talking in the hangar
- removed the beat of Han worrying about the falcon
- cut out Han's "Keep your distance Chewy. But don't make it look like your trying to keep your distance. I don't know, fly casual" during shuttle sequence.
- cut out the useless exposition scene in the throne room where the Emperor tells Vader to go on the executor. It slows down the plot and is not needed.
- remove Leia and Wicket scene
- took out Han saying “I hope she’s all right”. It's far too on the nose.
- cut out Han grabbing Ewok’s spear and his “proper” line. This helps make the Ewok's seem more scary. Han easily manhandling the spear of an ewok greatly reduces any tension that might even be present.
- cut out cutesy shots of Ewoks when 3PO is being floated in the air on his chair
- cut out R2 electrocuting the Ewok.
- Threepios storytelling cuts off at “I was just getting to that”. We cut to Luke outside from there. That god awful laughably delivered line from threepio saying “we are now part of the tribe” and the following celebrations is just so damn SILLY! Watch that part again and you will giggle whether it be on the inside or the outside.
- cut out Han talking to Leia after Luke leaves. This cuts out Han acting jealous of Luke.
- I cut out ATON of the ewoks in the battle. They arrive as an early distraction, then when you see them the rest of the time, they are usually getting there asses handed to them by the Empire.
- Take out Chewie’s tarzan yell
- remove the cringeworthy “I love you—I know you” callback.
- have Vader’s head fade away when he dies. This now is consistent with Obi Wan and Yoda dissapearing when they died.
- Han and Leia’s conversation after the death star explodes, is as follows: Han- "I’m sure Luke wasn’t on that thing when it blew." / Leia- "He wasn’t…I can feel it." / Han gives a very confused look / Leia- “He’s my brother”. The scene flows REALLY well now, and is a huge improvement over the original. In my edit, there is absolutely no trace of jealousy in Han.
- Thanks to Q2, the ending scene has the SE music (“Victory Celebration”) and it has Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. Also, the "wesa free" line has been removed. I think the SE music is more grand and emotional, I despise the “wesa free” line in the Naboo shot, and I hate hayden’s ghost, so this ending works PERFECTLY for me!
I really enjoyed this edit and many of the decisions, but ultimately this just cannot be my go to version of the film...
PROS: I loved the added music during the Obi-Wan & Luke scene.
Very much enjoyed the change-up during when Chewie is introduced.
NO MORE JEDI ROCKS DANCE SEQUENCE!
The Special Edition Ending is the ending I always preferred.
Greatly reduced Ewoks!
Vader is more menacing in shuttle tydirium sequence.
Dialogue and cheesy scenes in the film are reduced (almost a little too much).
CONS: The subtitles from Jabba change from odd "imovie" type to then the despecialized subtitles.
I personally miss the despecialized dance sequence cut from this edit.
The dialogue scenes with Lando are pretty much cut entirely.
Boba Fett shots are not flipped.
No more Leia and Wicket scene.
I miss Vader's eyebrows.
But overall I think the film just loses too much of its charm while the edits aren't super effective.
Darthrush's edit of the Last Jedi is the definitive version of this movie. It cuts unnecesary exposition and helps the overall flow and enjoyment of the movie. Jabba's Palace sequence its greatly favored by some cuts like Lando revealing himself before time and the god awful musical number (retaining the only decent part of it) among others. The treatment of this cut regarding the ewoks is phenomenal as they have a more believable role in which they are not a fighting force capable of rivaling the Empire but natives that rush to the aid of their newly found friends and get their asses handed to them by the Empire (how it should be). There are some additions that reinforce some pre-established concepts of Star Wars like the vanishing of a Jedi to become part of the unifying force on death. Overall this is the best version possible of the Last Jedi. Great stuff.
Great edit, took out many things that did not need to be in this film. Unfortunately Boba Fett is something that didn't need to be in this film so if you make another version I suggest you cut alot of him out. This was a smooth edit, I never noticed it was fan made even with the addition of your own special effects like Vader vanishing after death. Great work.
It's been some time since I downloaded this movie, apologies to darthrush for taking so long to post a review. Much like all the other positive reviews I have to agree. All the pulp removed, and the core retained. Smooth editing and even my 6yr old son agrees with my preference and has now watched this a number of times with me. Very annoying how he recalls so the minor edits better than I do, but still highly recommended to watch it and make your own decision on the changes. It's worthit!
This fan edit of Return of the Jedi is currently my go-to version, and it's because it really still feels like the good old Return of the Jedi you remember loving as a kid, but it's so much better watching it as an adult.
Nothing too drastic is changed here: seemless edits improve the pace of the movie a lot, removing large chunks of silliness and bad acting, making the entire Endor part of the plot a lot less stupid and making the characters feel more like the ones we always knew from the past 2 movies (mostly Han and Leia) to the best possible degree. It's as good as it's going to get without traveling back to 1983 and reshooting several scenes with the original cast.
To close things off, I always wanted Return of the Jedi to be my favorite, and now it's possible. Thank you darthrush. This is the best version of Return of the Jedi I have watched, and it is much superior to the original movie. I highly recommend it.