FanFix February 08, 2013 26077
(Updated: November 04, 2013)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I just wanted to thank Severian for this terrific viewing experience. I loved Prometheus from the get go, and didn't really think it needed a fan edit, but curiosity got the better of me, and I'm glad it did.

The new intro that adds in the Ted Talk was genius. I honestly don't know why it wasn't in the film; it adds so much context to Weyland's motivation. Its this addition and the addition/changing of a few other key scenes that has me agreeing with Severian that Weyland's motivation is purely materialistic in nature. Its through that context, seeing the contrast between Weyland and Shaw's faith and lack thereof that makes the film far more interesting to me. It just adds another layer.

And I'm reading a lot of people taking umbrage with the readdition of the Engineer scene, and the addition of the Scotland scene as dreams. I thought this too was brilliant editing. The death of Holloway has a number of links to these scenes that just make sense in this edit. Not only does it demonstrate Holloway and Shaw's deep connection to one another, its the discovery in the cave that eventually leads to Holloway's death. Placing the cave discovery here makes us wonder if Shaw feels guilt about Holloway's death, and perhaps its because of that guilt she allows the cross to leave her neck. Its an interesting idea.

In the other flashback we see the Engineer dieing in the same tragic way as Holloway does. The swallowing of the black goo and the Engineer's death brings about life, and in a twisted way the same is true of Holloway. But more importantly, the creation of life via the Engineer's death is left vague because its not really a flashback, it's now a dream. This addresses one of the big issues I read online by people who dislike Prometheus. A number of people have a hard time suspending disbelief, and feel that this scene can not be representative of reality. Now they can put that argument to rest because it didn't really happen.

Anyways, this is probably one of my top 5 Fan Edits of all time. Highly recommended!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments