phaseivevolution_poster
FanFix January 19, 2021 5723
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a great edit that I heartily recommend to anyone who wants some contemplative, old skool sci-fi. It didn't really click with me personally as a film, though. (Full thoughts here: https://boxd.it/2zbiAp)

Honestly, the close-up photography sequences often go on too long and just have little-to-no context without the narration. I think they needed trimming to avoid being sleep-inducing and indulgent. And then as a film there are just still a fair few goofy moments and bits of really muddled accents and dodgy acting...easy to see why this was used for MST3K.

Overall, this edit turns the famous flop into a genuinely respectable movie. The new musical choices mostly worked well for me (again, a bit droning and sleep-inducing at a few points) and the visual quality was fantastic. Looks really great for how old this film was. This ultimately just wasn't really my kind of movie and I had a hard time taking it as seriously as it seems to want (I might have burst out laughing at a few of the human/ant physical battles). But an amazing editing feat that is sure to find its audience.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments