phaseivevolution_poster
FanFix January 19, 2021 5735
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

A far cry from the earnest-but-hobbled attempt at sci-fi grandeur that I first experienced years ago as an early MST3K episode, LastSurvivor has given us one of the absolute masterworks not only of fanediting but, in restoring this film to as close as possible to its intended form, one of the masterworks of science fiction film. An absolute psychedelic marvel from beginning to end, it is both a descendent of 2001 and a progenitor of Primer. (Anyone, like myself, bemoaning that we'll likely never see another film from disgraced genius Shane Carruth would do well to track this edit down.)

The music, the editing, the restoration of the climactic sequence, everything about this edit is perfect. My only small complaint is that perhaps Bass' original ending doesn't seem to quite stick the landing in terms of the profundity of 2001's alien-driven-evolution-of-mankind, but who knows, I may change my mind on future viewings -- of which there will definitely be many, if for no other reason than to marvel over how the insects of the film manage such stunning performances.

Even rivalling the lead turn by Michael Murphy, aka "the guy who played the mayor in Batman Returns."

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
DVD
R
Top 10 Reviewer 156 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments