orphansofthefirestorm_front
FanFix March 05, 2022 940
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Remarkable first-time edit that gives a simple but smart spin to Takahata's ever relevant masterpiece by making it linear, thus hiding the fates of the characters that the original revealed at the start. It can be argued that, given the tragic situation, several things can be expected at the end, but still it plays beautifully this way, and retains all the poetry and all the devastating punch. It even makes it darker and more hopeless in a way: you can see the bombs falling through the train window at the end. Make whatever you wish of that...

The technical aspects are very well achieved and quality is consistently high. It's a great touch to include both English dubs along with the original Japanese version, so everyone can choose their preferred way of viewing. I won't go as far as saying this is better than the official cut, but it can very well be considered an equal. And, in case you are wondering... yes, I cried at the end. This film gets me every time.

If you have never seen Grave of the Fireflies, this cut is a fine choice for a first time viewing. Get both the original Blu-ray and the edit as soon as you can. I assure you that you won't regret doing either.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments