Special Projects February 09, 2022 3362
(Updated: February 17, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I had never seen the original German cut of the film. Although not much footage is added, it does change the tone and pacing and oddly, it seems more suited to this story than the cut I'm familiar with. Regarding the film itself: although it's a pretty simple story with a novel twist (ha), there is perhaps no other children's film that illustrates better the importance of creativity and imagination. The puppets, sets, and special effects show their age but nothing that the film's target audience would mind. Adults will perhaps notice more about the story than children will. It wasn't until I rewatched the film as an adult that I realized who the 'others' were that accompanied both Atreyu and Bastian on their journey through Fantasia (hint: you know one of them very well ;).

The film's imagery can be a bit emotionally wrenching in places, but as far as Eurocentric children's fare goes, at least it's not Watership Down.

Technically, didn't find any visual issues. The reincorporated/alternate music was edited well. Might be my imagination, but G'mork seemed to have a new voice? The only potential audio issue I heard was right around the final voiceover line in the film; seemed like the music suddenly muted during the line. I couldn't tell from memory whether this was endemic to the original.

Still a one-of-a-kind film. Really enjoyed this edit.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply February 20, 2022

Many thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed the edit and your comments are much appreciated!

I have a certain fondness for fantasy films of this era, the imperfect puppetry and analogue processes giving a tactile feeling to visual effects all but gone nowadays, thank goodness for Guillermo del Toro.

Gmork does indeed have a different voice in the German cut, higher pitched and without the echo effect, I don't know if Alan Oppenheimer also performed it.
Like Ian McShane's Tai Lung from Kung Fu Panda, I think a soft-spoken villain can work well, in this case it makes Gmork sound more natural (as a talking creature of darkness) and as if he is as genuinely exhausted as he describes.

The audio item you mentioned is a result of blending from the German to International Cuts so we get the start of the song over the credits, on reflection (after taking a break from watching the edit over and over again) it could be done a bit better. Am a little surprised that this is the item you noticed, personally think that the cut over Atreyu riding at 30:43, where I repeat a section of the music is more pronounced, but maybe that is because it was among the items that gave me the most headaches!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments