(Updated: June 24, 2018)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Superb work.
Only some minor "anti climactic" cuts here and there hamper this edit's attempt at perfection.
The cut after the APU corps scream after Mifune rallies them comes in mind as being too abrupt and cutting to a very low key scene.
Then, the split second where the Oracle is shown before Smith assimilates her didn't look right. Don't know if it was because it was too short, trying to avoid the part where she starts to speak, or the gesture with her hand which made no sense in that context, but it just didn't work for me.

Besides attempting to shorten the Burly Brawl as other reviewers have mentioned, I'd have tried to kill parts from the highway scene. The part when the twin gets into the trio's car is truly cringe-worthy and I regretted having to see it again in this edit.
Other minor stuff I would have trimmed are the slo-mo punch to Smith's face and the "everything that has a beginning has an end" line, which has no relevance since it had never been uttered before that point.

Also, I'd think Trinity could have still been made to die if the editor kept Neo finding her impaled, and added her "your eyes" line, delivered in a shot where only Neo was visible, letting her die soon after. Apart from Neo's evident absence from the trip to Machine City, seeing Neo leave to meet baby face with no explanation why she stays behind, or what she does during the final confrontation, or even how she finds out the whole thing is over, just doesn't work.
Finally, the artificially slo-mo'ed flashback to the mechanical arm picking Neo up from the sewer looked especially "hacked in".

On the positive side, among other nice cuts, I was surprised at how well the editor managed to change the narrative to have Mifune be the one to open the dock's gate and die afterwards.

All things said, the minor gripes I mentino don't take back from the fact that this is a masterfully superior experience than having to sit through Reloaded and Revolutions, and I certainly recommend it.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
U
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
August 03, 2018
"...and the "everything that has a beginning has an end" line"

That line actually fits in pretty well. Smith says "Everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo." and he realizes that something is not right, because it's the only time in the entire franchise that he calls him Neo instead of Mr. Anderson.
P
pdcmoreira
1 results - showing 1 - 1