FanFix September 03, 2014 29272
(Updated: February 18, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I love the first Matrix film. To me, it's one of the best sci-fi films ever made. It somehow managed to be thought-provoking while also being edgy, cool, and sexy (with truly exceptional cinematography). Unfortunately, the next two films were bloated, dragged in certain moments, were over-saturated in bad CGI, and had an over-usage of exposition; the action scenes, despite the bad CGI, were still mostly ace though (I have no idea why in the hell most faneditors are seemingly hell bent in removing the Burly Brawl! I mean, shorten it and remove the shots of bad CGI? Sure. But outright removal?! It reintroduces Smith and his new abilities! It makes no goddamn narrative sense to remove it!).

This edit mostly fixed the said problems I mentioned (thank you so much for the removing that stupid rave sequence), while mostly keeping intact the action sequences ( I really cared about the Burly Brawl and the Highway Chase Sequence, both of which were done well). However, the fanedit does end up being overly ambitious in certain moments. The editing with the Oracle near the end was a bit wonky, and how Neo was portrayed in losing his eyes was iffy (it honestly didn't make sense that Trinity didn't help Neo in guiding him to the Deus Ex Machina baby-face thing in the end). The only other edit I straight up didn't like was in the beginning of the Reloaded segment: because you took out his flight to the Oracle after fighting the 3 Agents, it seemed a little goofy that he randomly shoots into the sky and then the film immediately cuts to the ship reaching Zion. That just seemed....awkward. Also, the sudden disappearance of the Key Maker seemed a bit....odd.

But it must be said: despite these flaws, in theory these ideas were fantastic. Narratively speaking, everything was surprisingly consistent, and made me realize just how unnecessary it was in telling this story in 2 separate films. This made me forgive the shortcomings of the fanedit for the most part, which is why I'd say it's worth at least a single viewing.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
T
Top 500 Reviewer 8 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments