Review Detail

9.6 2 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Decided to watch this after seeing the first Scribbling Cut (which removes an additional 31 minutes) a little over a week ago, maybe I should have done it the other way round! There were a few instances where I noticed extra material in this version but this was mostly just the odd inconsequential scene or line, it did not feel like the runtime had increased by 38% so I suppose that is a mark of a solid foundation.

Still, I think I do prefer the shorter version and its extra refinements, the taxidermist's shop being a particular example, though maybe that would be mitigated if Hitchcock's cameo had been left in! The AV source is unfortunately sub-par (as mentioned previously) but this is hardly the editors fault, the quality looks great to my eyes despite the file being a third the size of the shorter cut's. Now that the film has been recently restored perhaps I will have the chance to see it on the big screen someday, the Albert Hall scene is already impressive enough watching it on a laptop!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
P
Top 50 Reviewer 84 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments