FanFix November 19, 2021 24078
(Updated: November 25, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

When I first saw the Hobbit trilogy, I remember being being relatively satisfied until Desolation of Smaug's ridiculous chase scenes and love triangle. BOFA was a massive disappointment. I had heard about Hobbit fanedits for a while now, but this year I finally sat down to watch this one. And my mind was blown.
On a technical level, this edit is professional quality. I couldn't even tell that I was watching a fanedit. The video and audio quality are flawless, the transitions and editing appear natural and effortless. By staying strictly faithful to the book, all of the bloat has been cut out, and the best parts, especially Martin Freeman's performance, shine through more. A brilliant example is removing Bilbo's rescue of Thorin in AUJ. Removing that moment made Thorin and Bilbo's friendship feel much more natural and developed. This and other changes are possible thanks to the fantastic VFX work in this edit, especially during Smaug's attack on Laketown, which manages to remove Bard's son from the scene in a way I didn't think was possible. To make a long story short, if you want a version of the Hobbit that follows the book to the letter, containing only the best parts of the trilogy, look no further than this edit.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
P
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 1

Comments