Review Detail

9.3 32 10
(Updated: September 17, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by Brumous — June 20, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

This is an action filled episode all about preparing for the battle of Minas Tirath, the battle itself, and the aftermath. Kerr’s consolidation really helps make sense out of the storyline, a major improvement over the original with its frenetic intercutting and relatively confusing choreography of scenes. Kerr’s technical work here is tremendous, producing a smoothly flowing reconstruction with only one seam that I noticed (cut from night to day during the battle for Osgiliath). In fact the editing is so smooth, it spotlights some sequences where the original feels choppy, like Éowyn’s abbreviated recovery and romance with Faramir.

The battle itself is more enjoyable with Kerr’s numerous subtle cuts and rearrangements. The battle is more linear and realistic seeming, the pacing is more lively, and events and characters are truer to the elevated noble tone of the book.

Once again, the new beginning and ending are outstanding and make a perfect frame for the episode.

I saw a Peter Jackson interview where he said he created the individual storylines first, and then intercut them to make the final film version. I think that explains why the individual stories reassemble so well, but great fandediting is a necessary part of the equation also. 10/10.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments