Review Detail

9.5 44 10
(Updated: September 16, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by GeneralNerd — September 3, 2010 @ 1:19 am

I’ve watched all 6 parts now and I really liked a lot of what you did to change it. Here’s a simple list of what I liked and didn’t like.

Liked:
The improved pacing. Watching my extended edition, I usually find myself bored, distracted, or falling asleep by the time Arwen is trying to escape the Black Riders on horseback. With your version, I was riveted.

The Black Riders seemed more threatening. It was mostly the small cuts you made that achieved this; they came across as more mysterious and harder to beat. It really made the whole thing feel more tense.

I was worried about how Arwen would come across when you’ve downplayed her more action filled moments, but it actually worked out fairly well.

Disliked:
The length. This isn’t really long enough to be its own movie. Not really your fault, though. You didn’t have much to work with in that regard.

The climax felt a bit too understated to me.

There’s a bit too much humor cut out. I know you were going for increased tension, but this really was one of the more lighthearted parts of the book, especially Pippin.

That said, I really liked it. I give it an 8/10.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments