9.4 6 10
FanMix March 31, 2018 3826
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Gone is the musical, now we can watch this as a film. It still gives homage to old classical musicals and the jazz infused romance is still present (and maybe even emphasized).

One minor thing I’ve noticed: at the start, the effect for the words "No Dancing Edition" is a bit jumpy / jittery, it looked weird. Other than that, the start is thematically great; it makes a lot of sense to begin the film like this.

The opening dancing portion being cut is a breath of fresh air. I mean, I loved seeing that section in the original film, and it's a technical and directing achievement, but it felt apart from the rest of the story. Even if intended to be just a prologue, that section is completely unrelated to the rest of the film, so it never really worked as a prologue / opening of the story. With that scene gone, the narrative is better and the film gains quality.

After that, nice editing with the non-linear portion, it highlights the important moment when the 2 main characters first "cross paths".

During the rest of the edit, including at the end, I never felt anything was missing, and the story works without the dancing parts.

I've read the last review when it is said there is a continuity error in Sebastian knowing Mia's parents' house with no previous reference in the film; at least in the current version I've watched, there is such a reference (when they are talking after they first meet on her workplace). No continuity error here.

Thanks for this!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments