Kung Fu Kid, The
- NTSC DVD-5
- AVCHD (DVD-9)
* Cut opening scene in apartment in Detroit and of everyone sending them on their way, including Dre’s friend giving him a skateboard.
* Cut scene of Dre’s mom forcing him to speak Chinese to the stranger on the plane as well as the rest of their conversation.
* Cut Dre’s mom talking about nothing being old in China as they arrive.
* Cut Dre’s line about where his mom worked.
* Cut Dre’s mom’s talk about eating together everyday and the “Airplane lag” bit.
* Cut shot of Dre trying to explain to workers about hot water being out.
* Cut short scene when Dre first goes to school. Removed his mom demanding he return her “I love you.”
* Cut Mr. Han’s comment about saving the environment when showing Dre how the water switch works.
* Cut scene at school where Dre see’s girl practicing her instrument and then being picked on by Chinese kids.
* CUt scene of Dre pretending to sleep with TV on.
* Shorten scene of Dre’s mom trying to find out why he’s upset.
* Shorten chase scene to remove some of the more over the top moments.
* Remove girl asking Dre to festival.
* Remove Dre trying to hide his jacket so he doesn’t have to work with it.
* Cut Dre’s mom arriving at Mr. Hans to take them to festival.
* Cut entire festival scene.
* Trim Mr. Han working on car.
* Cut Mr. Han telling Dre they won’t be working the next day.
* Cut “date” scene (parts used later).
* Cut girl’s audition and her father forbidding her from seeing Dre.
* Removed scenes during training montage involving girl avoiding Dre (Replaced with a few moments from “date”).
* Removed scene of Dre asking forgiveness from girl’s father.
* Replaced music during tournament with “You’re the Best.”
* Altered subtitle so Dre has more than just two minutes to have treatment given by Mr. Han (sorry for those who know Chinese).
* New title added near the beginning.
May 17, 2011
I don’t have a lot to say but wanted to drop a quick line in support of some of the efforts made here by Kevinicus. 1st, loving the AVCHD. I hope to see many future HD edits. I’ll be quite content if I never have to watch any SD content again for as long as I live. 2nd, the technical work on the edit looked great. I didn’t catch any obvious sound, video, or editing flaws.
(spoiler!!)My main criticism is story related and possibly unavoidable? The over-the-top flip kick on one foot to finish the end fight just ruined the whole ending for me and left a sour taste in my mouth for what was otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable movie. It would have been a lot to handle even in the kind of action movie where such a thing is expected, but in this serious drama it just kills me to look at it! I wonder if there is a creative way to tone that down so it just looks more like a cool kick instead of a flip?
In any event, strong work.
May 2, 2011
This is a fun one. I remember being sceptical about it starring Will Smith Jr. (haha), as I’d only seen him in “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (avoid!) and felt like slapping him throughout. Very annoying character…which means he did a good job, but still. There was also the kung fu/karate dilemma. But I’m also a big fan of Jackie Chan, so that helped a lot.
I must say that the film is good and captures the spirit of the originals. This streamlined version is appreciated and well done. I only noticed one technical flaw (a flash frame just after the part where the lady is dancing with the cobra), so overall, extremely well done. The video quality is top notch, audio is consistent, and the menus are nice.
I’ll give this a 9 overall, as it’s such a solid effort all around.