FanFix August 03, 2023 1306
(Updated: April 29, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I've always loved King Kong (2005). But it's length usually deters me from watching occasionally. I was hoping to find something under 3 hours that doesn't edit too much of the original. I think this edit makes an enjoyable, shorter film.
I think starting the movie at the Kong premiere was genius. The edit also gets through the exposition and into the ship very quickly. All the character development on the ship to skull island was also retained, which helped sell the romance between Jack and Ann. All the best action scenes were kept in. I'm glad the giant insect scene was essentially over before it began. I never liked that scene. Also, I watched the Technicolor version which was done very well.
Possible improvements:
1. Once we go back a few months earlier from the Kong premiere to Ann on the street, the font that says "a few months earlier" is quite cheesy in my opinion. It feels like it was made in PowerPoint or iMovie. Maybe finding a better font that matches the title credits could work?
2. I think having Jack stay down with the animals on the ship needs more reasoning. Maybe having the quick scene where Denham is able to keep Jack on the ship long enough that it sets off before Jack can get off the ship?
3. I think the addition of the swamp scene does not serve as a good first man vs monster fight. I personally think the team seeing the Brontosauruses for the first time works better. Of course you would have to trim the scene considerably. I argue this because it shows Denham trying to film the dinosaurs and make some money from the island rescue mission. The conclusion of the scene shows Denham trying to "save" Herb from the raptors with the camera. He then says he'll donate the proceeds to his wife and kids. I think this works better than the swamp scene where Denham literally only films a guy get eaten by a swamp monster.
4. I think including the scene of Bruce Baxter quitting helps show the difference between a hero and a coward, thus emphasizing Jack's heroic character more when he later goes the distance to save Ann from Kong.
In no way am I trying to bash the edit. These are all just minor improvement possibilities if you decide to do a version 2. Overall this is a great fan edit and would recommend it.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply May 04, 2024

Thanks for the great and insightful review.
Regarding point (1) - Noted! If I ever decide to revisit the edit, I'll try an alternative font.
Regarding (3) and (4) - You're absolutely correct. Think of it as an experiment: can the movie work without the stampede?! This was one of the driving forces behind this edit. I cut it in such way that Herb never joined the search party. And neither Baxter (kinda shows his cowardice, albeit not as impactful as the original). Is there another way to do it? Probably.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments